cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing latest patches

Techgirl01
Level 3

Hello,

I am receiving alerts of "there are 12 Remote Agent Servers that are not up to the latest patch level. To install the latest patches, click on Tool ->Install Agents and Media Server on Other Servers. From there, click Import and Export -> Import servers published to this Media Server. This will start a remote install session to ensure your servers are up to date with the latest available patches."

Since I am new to the company I work for, I did not do the initial installation of Backup Exec on the Server that it is running on, and all my servers are backing up properly, so my question is, is it necessary to perform the latest patch level to my other servers? When I started to go through these steps above, I come to the "Create the list of remote computers for installation" and there are no remote computers (servers) listed. When I click on Import Servers Published to this Media Server", I then have the option to choose the product to install: Symantec Backup Exec, Remote Agent for Windows systems, DLO Maintenance Service" I have not went any further than this untill I am confident in performing this procedure.

I just want to understand this process and if it is even necessary to perform. Please advise me on the best practice regarding this.

Thank you in advance for your support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Whenever you run live update and install Service Packs or Hotfixes, these are installed on the 

media server, however you need to install the same on the remote server too so that the remote 

agents can communicate with the media server more effectively. Its always recommended to have 

the media server and remote agent at the same level. When you click on Tools->Install agents and 

media server on other server, you need to select "Remote agent for windows server" a list will pop 

up with all the servers were remote agent is installed. A reboot will be required if remote agent is 

installed with AOFO. So bottom line install all the update on the remote server during your

maintenance window.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It's always beneficial for you to update your remote servers. Patching your media server with available updates fixes certain things...but these patches also apply to issues that might be experienced with other servers or agents such as Exchange.

you can do a push-install from with Backup Exec. If you have already run LiveUpdate, do this next and update what is available...obviously select the Remote agent for Windows Servers to do this...

Thanks!

AmolB

Whenever you run live update and install Service Packs or Hotfixes, these are installed on the 

media server, however you need to install the same on the remote server too so that the remote 

agents can communicate with the media server more effectively. Its always recommended to have 

the media server and remote agent at the same level. When you click on Tools->Install agents and 

media server on other server, you need to select "Remote agent for windows server" a list will pop 

up with all the servers were remote agent is installed. A reboot will be required if remote agent is 

installed with AOFO. So bottom line install all the update on the remote server during your

maintenance window.

Techgirl01
Level 3

Ok, Thank you for the information. My next question would be, when I start this installation does this process take very long and/or will it affect any of my processes that are running on my servers. Will it also require a reboot to any of those servers? Also, this is just installing patches, correct?

Thank you!

Techgirl01
Level 3

Thank you kindly for the information

AmolB

Patch installation will not long time (15-20 mins), it will not affect any process. You will get a prompt if in case a reboot is 

required, you may delay the reboot.