cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instructions to Manually Uninstall (and Install) Remote Agent in 11d

NonProfit
Level 3
Rolling out the new 11d and I have a few machines... 1 an XP, and 1 a 2k... that did not take too well to the push install of the remote agent.  I went to each machine to uninstall the old agent (v9) or whatever was there from the new agent, only I receive a "Fatal Error" when trying to remove it using Add/Remove programs.

I've tried to install the new agent using the old copy the RANT32 folder (actually I think they call it RAWS now) but it wouldn't install again and just gave the unhelpful "Fatal Error"

Clearly I have some issue on these machines that is not allowing me to uninstall or reinstall these agents.  Is there a way to manually uninstall them?  Blow them cleanly right off these machines so that I can try a fresh install?
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
At this point about all that you can do is stop the BERMOTE service, then open you favorite Registry editor

Drill down to HKLM\Software\Symantec (or Veritas)\BackupExec and delete the entire tree from there down

Re-Boot, and you should be able to install the agent

All the standard warnings about registry diving apply Smiley Tongue

NonProfit
Level 3
Thanks for the reply Ken.

Unfortunately this didn't seem to inspire these two machines to accept the new push install.

I stopped the backup exec service.  Blew out all references to Veritas and BackupExec from the registry.  Deleted all \program files folders associated with the program.  Rebooted.

Install still fails with "Fatal Error"

The install log reads:  "Installation fails with error 1603"

Any additional ideas?

NonProfit
Level 3
Windows Installer Clean Up Utility is what finally did the job

Clive_Hunt
Level 3

NonProfit wrote:
Windows Installer Clean Up Utility is what finally did the job

This is worth its weight in gold - thanks for sharing.