cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instructor lost folder trying to recover data from his folder only - *Bear w/ me - Newbie to Forums*

CVAESiteTech
Level 2
Hi All!Smiley Very Happy

Bear with me, I am new to the forums, and I have eyesight issues, so my font is on the medium side.

Here's my question!

I am very new to the v.10.1 Backup exec, and there was another site tech who used to do this job, but has now left the company, and this is the first time I have ever encountered this problem.

An instructor had all of his installation and product keys from his emails placed on a folder in his Outlook settings. All of the individual outlook settings get backed up to Exchange, and onto the Backup exec once per week.

Last week, I was on Spring Break, and since they would not pay for anybody to change the backup tapes, I put all backups on hold for that week.

During that week, the district's contracted engineers placed this instructor's department on the campuses domain. (Prior to that, for security reasons, the department was on a workgroup environment to keep the students in that class off the campus' main network. Apparently, this instructor cannot access all the data from that one folder.

I believe I may have his files on the LTO tape from 2 weeks ago, and I am wondering if I can just recover his folder only or his mailbox for exchange from that tape, and not affect anybody else on the campus network.

I will need instructions too! I have the 10.1 version of Backup Exec.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
SPNavarro
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What version of Exchange?

Were you doing Mailbox Backups or just Stores backups?

CVAESiteTech
Level 2
Hi Ken,

Sorry for the delay, just been one busy site tech!

Exchange Server 2003 w/ all the current service packs.

Backup Exec covers the Active Directory mailbox backups, and the server that exchange is on itself.

Last week, no backups were scheduled due to Spring Break, and because the consultants were not going to change out the tapes without charging a fee. (I have no control over budget, and since I wasn't getting paid either, I just rescheduled the backups to another day)

Monday morning is the day I swap out backup tapes. I do it weekly.

Hope this helps, and thanks for answering this question!

Joe_Taylor
Level 2
If you catalog the tape you should be able to find the file you're looking for. try just restoring this single file, possibly to another location so you don't damage any changes since. Then extract the data you want and you should have your file back

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if it was a server-side folder, then it should appear in the Restore Selections pane

If it was to a PST,  then unless you are using DLO or something similar, unless he backed it up himself, it's probably gone

Since you have Ex2003, if you have defined a Storeage Recovery Group,  if all else fails, you should be able to restore the entire backup and then ExMerge the one folder

CVAESiteTech
Level 2
Thanks Joe!

Sincerely,

SP Navarro - Site Tech, CVAE

CVAESiteTech
Level 2
Thanks Ken!

Sincerely,

SP Navarro - Site Tech, CVAE