cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which stategy will provide the following?

Primavera
Level 2
Partner
Hi,

Hopefully some-one can help me out or give a few pointers or directions to achieve my goal.

I have a customer who purchased BackupExec V11d and is using a HP MSL G3 series Robotic Library which houses a Ultrium 3 tape-engine/unit.

They have a lot servers and this is backupped up through the normal 1Gbit capable LAN.
The total ammount of data to be backed up  is about 400GB at the moment but will continue to grow because they want more servers to be backed up via Backup Exec.

The issue at hand is that the fileserver has about 3 million files to be backed up and this is where the backup time window is not sufficient to backup all data.The total time taken to backup this 400GB is about 11 hours where the Ultrium-3 unit should provide far greater speeds.

How can i use Backup Exec v11d features/strategies to shorten this Backup Window?
Is B2D2T(Backup to Disk to Tape) maybe an option to consider?
But can i do Brick Level restores with this without having to restore the entire BKF file first?

Hopefully somone can give me some advice on this.
Thanks in advance.

JJ

3 REPLIES 3

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi JJ,

You can run a job to disk and then run a duplicate of that job to tape.  This will ensure that you do not have to restore a bkf file from tape.  If you only backup the bkf files then you will come into the problem of restoring twice.

That many small files are going to take longer then the larger files to backup.  I would suggest doing some test backups to see what would give you the best throughput, for instance run a backup to disk with software compression, then one with out.  Compare the results to a backup to tape with software compression and with hardware compression. 

If you find that the backup to disk is faster and you have the disk space to do that you can then run the job to disk and have a policy that will duplicate that job to tape.  The duplicate job will not interfere with the user data, it will only use the B2D and the catalogs in Backup Exec. 

Here is a technote that has the instructions on how to set yup a duplicate job:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
Patty

Primavera
Level 2
Partner
Hi,

Thanks...i will try/suggest this at the customers site and see if we can nibble some time of the time taken from the backup.

By "does not interfere" with the data, do you mean that in the Duplicate job you can also search for indivitual userfiles from the Catalog and that Backup Exec states that this is "duped" to tape?

Message Edited by Primavera on 04-23-200705:56 AM

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Exactly.

Running a duplicate job will allow you to have the user files on tape while the backup is running it will only reference the original backup. 

Patty