cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid connection handle error when attempting to back up virtual machines

tihaem
Level 2

I recently upgraded to Backup Exec 2012 and decided to create new jobs to replace the jobs that were created during the migration process. I am currently facing an issue with the backup job I created for my VMware server. I was able to add the VMware server successfully and select the virtual machines for this job however when the job runs, I get the following error:

V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine. VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: Invalid connection handle

Prior to the upgrade I was able to backup the virtual machines. I am using the same user credentials I had setup prior to the upgrade and verified the permissions of the logon account on the VMware server. I have the necessary AVVI agent license and also VMware licenses. The virtual machines I am trying to backup are hosted on 2 ESXi hosts. The VMware vSphere version is 4.1.

I have so far done the following troubleshooting:

• Removed VMware server and added it again
  • Tried running the job using the SAN and NBD transport mode seperately

Any further input from the community to assist me with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

tihaem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tihaem
Level 2

Hi matt36 and DeSeppe,

Yes, I did find the solution. It was a permissions issue all along.

In BE2012, GRT is enabled by default when you create new jobs. Therefore if you are trying to backup VMs with GRT enabled, the Login account you use for the backup job must have the same permissions as a restore job.

If you want to disable GRT, than you can do so under the Virtual machines tab of the job and ensure the permissions for the Login account have the appropriate permissions.

Refer this article for the required permissions:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129645

Regards,

tihaem

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Click on the BE button.  Go to Help ---> About and click on the Licence Infomation button and check that you are licenced for AVVI.

Are you using a free version of vSphere?  You need a paid version of vSphere so that you have access to the vStorage API which BE uses.

tihaem
Level 2

We have the necessary licenses for AVVI and also vSphere. As I mentioned, prior to the upgrade to Backup Exec 2012, backing up virtual machines was working fine on Backup Exec 2010 R2.

matt36
Level 2

Hi,

Wea re having the exact same issue. BUE 2012 and VSphere are both licensed correctly. BUE has the AVVI option active.

This is a fresh installation for both BUE and the VMware environment.

Is there any help Symantec can off with this issue.

Cheers,

Matt.

DeSeppe
Level 2

Hi,

Did you already found a solution/workaround for this issue?

We're experiencing exact the same as described. Everything worked fine on BE2010, but after upgrade to BE2012 no VM could be backupped: nor upgraded/migrated jobs, nor newly created jobs (always the famous VixDiskLib_open()... Invalid connection handle) . Licences are OK.

I even removed BE2012 from the server and installed a fresh copy (no upgrade), but still the same issue.

Thanks,

DeSeppe

tihaem
Level 2

Hi matt36 and DeSeppe,

Yes, I did find the solution. It was a permissions issue all along.

In BE2012, GRT is enabled by default when you create new jobs. Therefore if you are trying to backup VMs with GRT enabled, the Login account you use for the backup job must have the same permissions as a restore job.

If you want to disable GRT, than you can do so under the Virtual machines tab of the job and ensure the permissions for the Login account have the appropriate permissions.

Refer this article for the required permissions:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129645

Regards,

tihaem

DeSeppe
Level 2

Tnx tihaem,

The permissions approach directed me to the solution.
In my case it was the lack of sufficient admin rights on the vCenter OS. Apparently BE2010 didn’t need them, but BE2012 does.

Regards,
  DeSeppe