cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory & Erase function result in "system service is not responding."

Tim_Anderson_2
Level 3
Basically as the title states.  When I attempt to inventory a drive or Erase a drive it ends up with "The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding".  I made sure my Symantec AntiVirus Tamper was disabled.  Disabled auto-protect.  Rebooted.  Did a little dance.  Tried again.  Still the same issue.

Drive is a Powervault 110T LTO3
6 REPLIES 6

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Tim,

Are you seeing any errors in the System log?

Do you have any problems during your backups?

Steve_Mullenix
Level 4
Are the primary (3) BE services starting correctly at boot? Do they stop when you run the jobs in question?

Tim_Anderson_2
Level 3
All backups have been going just fine.  This only happens during a Inventory or erase disk function on the tape drive.

Everything is clean when the system boots up and starts up.  When I do attempt to erase it will run for a few minutes, then the job list will show it as red.  When I let it sit it pops the following error up.

"Erase Drive 00007 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."

------------------

At the same time the following appears in eventlogger:

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "BACKUP") (Job: "Erase Drive 00007") Erase Drive 00007 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Nothing shows in the system log?

How about running an inventory of a Backup 2 Disk folder?

Does that have the same results?

Also, does the Job engine crash?  Do you have to restart it manually?

Tim_Anderson_2
Level 3

@Patty McGowan wrote:
Nothing shows in the system log?

How about running an inventory of a Backup 2 Disk folder?

Does that have the same results?

Also, does the Job engine crash?  Do you have to restart it manually?

Nothing in System log shows at that time when it happens.

Just ran a inventory of Backup 2 Disk.  It failed the same way with the same error.

I do not have to restart the job engine.  It just stops responding. 

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Tim,

If it happens when you are running it to disk too, it appears that the Backup Exec Job Engine and the Backup Exec Device and Media Service are having a problem working together.
I would suggest first to ensure that they are running as the same account in services, should be the Domain Admin Account.

If they are running as the same account, I would run a repair install.

Hope this helps.

Patty