cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory tape drive while jobs are queued

billyhig
Not applicable
Hey everyone,

I'm very inexperienced with Backup Exec.  I have 11d and an issue I've been having is this.  Some times, through my own error, I do not have enough tapes loaded in our device to cover the amount of jobs.  We use a Quantum autoloader as our device.  Basically, some mornings I will come in to a job queued and waiting for overwritable media.  (The device can only do one job at a time, so their are usually other jobs waiting as well).  I then put more media into the device, but backupexec does not detect this media.  I try to do an inventory, but it shows a status of Ready; No idle devices are available.  I then have to cancel all of the queued jobs, inventory the device, and then re-run them.... which kinda sucks because the jobs run to one of our servers first, and then a mirror of that is written to the tape.  Basically it takes forever.

Is their a workaround where I can import media, keep the job queued and then Inventory the drives that are holding the tape?

Thank You,
.Billy
1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Not that I know of. There's already a job/action running which has a hold on your autoloader, so the other job will fail to find a device.
The only way around this that I know of is to cancel the job and run the inventory. I doubt if putting it on hold will work either.
What I have done though, is scheduled an automatic inventory every Monday on all our sites, and run it 1 hour before the week's backup schedule starts.