cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it guaranteed by BE if remote agent is installed on workstations?

Nelson_Nakamits
Level 4
Hi,

It doesn't seem like all my previous posts about remote agent can be answered. However, I would like to know one thing. I've read a post by one of the BE staff: "We recommend that you use remote agent to avoid further complications and we do no guarantee the Backup or restore without installing remote agent." This sounds like a guarantee that your data will be safe, but what if I have remote agent installed on all my WORKSTATIONS (Not servers) and I still get an error message in job logs that say, "unable to initialize remote agent"? Is my data safe? At least it appears to be. I've installed the remote agent silently as directed in BE technotes. Isn't there a simple fix to resolve this error? Your response is much anticipated and will be appreciated.

Nelson
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Your data is probably safe (do the flels show up in the Restore Selections pane with no overlaid icons?), but you won't get system state/registry info, so no Disaster Recover will be possible

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems that you have installed the remote agent on all your workstations yet get the error 'unable to initialise remote agent'. Does this occur on all the workstations? How many workstations have you installed the remote agent on? Ensure that the remote agent service is running during the backup.
Also try the following steps:

- Go to the backup job properties
- advanced options-remote agent priority tab
- lower the remote agent priority to below normal or lowest

Test the backup results after this. If the issue persists, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Nelson_Nakamits
Level 4
Thanks priya for your response. Before installing the remote agent on all workstations, I decide to do a test first so I installed them on 4 workstations. 2 here in our office and 2 offsite. I confirmed that the agent is running in services. If a person logs off during backup, will the agents still be running? How can I tell? I did change the remote agent priority in job properties to both below normal or lowest and ran tests, but no difference. Maybe something else I can try? Thanks.

Update: I did a test run of 2 workstation backups (both have remote agent and running in services). 1 computer gave me the same error I've been getting: "unable to...remote agent", the other computer didn't get that error, but an exceptions error that it skipped "xxx.pst" files were in use because the Outlook program was open (we do not have AOFO installed), so that makes sense. Do you need to encouter this kind of situation before remote agent kicks in?

Message was edited by:
Nelson NakamitsuMessage was edited by:
Nelson Nakamitsu

Nelson_Nakamits
Level 4
I checked the restore files and everything looks good. Thanks. Just wish I could get the agents to work on our workstations.