cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to add end marker to tapes MANUALLY ???

sysadm1n
Level 2

Hello all,

I would like to know if it's possible or not to add end marker to tapes manually!?

The tapes are currently marked as "not appendable" - "end marker unreadable", and I want to append data WITHOUT erasing the data already written on the tapes!!!

I must append data! MUST! I can't erase or owerwrite the tapes because the data on them has to remain there for a while. I also can't use other tapes because that messes up the backup plan and rotation of the tapes.

When you reply, please, oh PLEASE do not ask, only say yes or no, and maybe why yes or no. I don't want to be arrogant or hurt anyone's feelings, and if I did that please accept my apologies, but I only need an answear and that's the bottom line. I don't want to start a discussion about the cause or any other details, there have been quite enough threads about this on other forums and also here, that why this could happen (bad tapte/worn out tape/faulty drive/network connection failure during backup/other error during backup), and an erase or simply an overwrite-on-next-job or possibly media re-cataloging can help, of course every time the data on the tape is lost. I also have read http://www.symantec.com /business/support/index? page=content&id=TECH37091 and http://www.symantec.com /business/support/index? page=content&id=TECH50884

Right now it doesn't matter why and how it happened, I only want a simple answear to the question: Is it possible to add end marker to tapes MANUALLY .... or not ???! Because I can't find an option for this, and I simply can't believe that Symantec didn't think of this and made backupexec without this option or any workaround!   I mean, it's just an end marker but it's driving me insane, if I could, I would scratch it onto the tapes myself with a rusty nail if that would help!

Thank you all very very much for the usefull comments in advance! :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I've never tried this, and it would require a minimum of two tape drives, but you could try Duplicating one of the "bad" tapes  to a scratch (and then back so the volume stays in the right media set)

Or you could DUP to a B2D device and then back to the original tape

Good luck!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No, because you can't do this through BE mnually. This is something that the software does with the tape if it detects errors or that the tape is full etc.

I doubt any other vendor's backup application allows you to do this.

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I've never tried this, and it would require a minimum of two tape drives, but you could try Duplicating one of the "bad" tapes  to a scratch (and then back so the volume stays in the right media set)

Or you could DUP to a B2D device and then back to the original tape

Good luck!

sysadm1n
Level 2

So, I've been searching further how to do this, but it seems it is not possible. So frustrating.angry

Thank you CraigV and Ken for the reply! smiley

I'll consider the dup idea, there are two drives and autoloader at this remote location, but even if it's possible it'll be a pain to do it with a dozen tapes, and since it's remote, there are a lot of people involved and quite a few actions has to be approved, but I'll convince them to give this idea a shot at least.

So thanks again to all and have a nice day! yes