cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to backup EMC VNXe CIFS shares without using NDMP agent?

fedegil
Level 2

We purchased a EMC VNXe 3150, we'll migrate all our shared folders from Windows 2008 Fileserver to a CIFS shared folder in a VNXe fileserver.

+ Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition, version 14 rev 1798 (64 bits), windows 2008 R2 SP1.

I want to know the options to backup the data with Backup Exec.

1. How could I backup data without NDMP?, I already read about this option is slower but we'll have more flexibility to restore anyware.
    I could add a new file server, but when trying to get the folders inside the shared folder backup exec cannot authenticate with any account.
    Which account do I have to use and where to define it?

2. How could I backup data with NDMP?, I saw some procedures to do it in this forum...
    Do I need to purchase a special NDMP agent an add it to my backup exec?

Thanks!
fedeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

You can backup data without using NDMP agent. If CIFS share are not visible you might need to change the NDMP port on Backup Exec server.

If you want NDMP volume level backup then you need to purchase NDMP license.

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

Hi,

You can backup data without using NDMP agent. If CIFS share are not visible you might need to change the NDMP port on Backup Exec server.

If you want NDMP volume level backup then you need to purchase NDMP license.

Thanks

fedegil
Level 2

Ok, I changed the port to 9000 and now I can see the shared folder.

But I'm having troubles with the authentication. The selected account has full control permissions in the shared.
See attachment pls.

How should I configure it to make it work?

Thanks Rahul.

fedegil
Level 2

I could find a migrated folder where that account has no permissions over it.
I set permissions and the backup worked fine (I only see the orange exception with the warning 'the backup exec server could not find the remote agent', I read about this warning in this forum.

So I'll have to migrate my windows fileserver data with emcopy to the vnxe3150 cifs fileserver and set extra permissions for this account, in order to be able to backup the data...

If you have anything to say about this perceptios please tell me, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks,
fedeg

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

Fedegil,

You are correct. You need to set the permissons on each shared folder and then you can back it up as CIFS share.

Thanks

JavierTI_
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello, I think a good solution.
my problem is another advantage of the thread, which I have user permissions to add a devide NDMP (EMC VNX) ndmp user I created, but I grant permission to connect.