cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use CPS for local files ? (version 2010)

cbuehl
Level 3
We do a daily snapshots of our main file system by our SAN System. These snapshots are provided locally to our Backup server by a daily "mount" and are availble to the backup Exec Server like a local drive.
As the incremental backup is a bit difficult to handle with Backup Exec directly (and restores went to a disater) I would like to invoke a backup by using CPS.
However, I can't select the local drives as a backup source in CPS.
Is there anything I can do to allow CPS using local resources (E.g. backup the local drive E: to the lokal drive D:)

Thanks for any suggestions
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Well you can post that enhancement  request in ideas so if most of people vote on it ,it might be implement in the next coming build .
Please mark the post as resovled if post answered your query

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
This cannot be done as to use CPS you atleat require 2 servers...  it cannot do local replication

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
What you can do is install the CPS on the other server and make this server that you want to backup as CPA(client server). Now you can do the backup of the local drives and take the snapshot as well without any problem but make sure CPS is totally a different software and mostly used for continuous backup.

cbuehl
Level 3
Thank you for this idea - I already thought about this, but it's thats not the very best solution as we have then addtional to the SAN traffic another traffic through network.

I expect problems in my specific when copying through network as Symantec uses the standard windows copy routines (which are still a bit buggy. I had sever problems with a few specific Word files copying through a network share - while copying via RDP share or locally is no problem. And it needs another windows server license.

However, it's good to know that we can't do this with CPS.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Well you can post that enhancement  request in ideas so if most of people vote on it ,it might be implement in the next coming build .
Please mark the post as resovled if post answered your query