cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to virtualize BackupExec 10 on VMware for lab purposes?

malayo
Level 3

I don't have proper hardware in my office to test it (only on customer's site where I'm incharge with) so I thought it would be easier to test it on a virtual environment like what I used to do with Netvault Backup.

On Netvault Backup, I would use local VTL as backup media.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RLeon
Level 6
   VIP   

Such Alternative Configurations should be fine if your customer is only doing this in a lab testing environment.

However, if they do this in their production environment and encounter strange issues, you should be relieved that

in most cases, you do not support Alternative Configurations, and you have no obligation to provide Support Services to Licensed Software in an Alternative Configuration.
Symantec makes no warranty with respect to use of Licensed Software in an Alternative Configuration and any such use is at their own risk.
You have no obligation to attempt to resolve Problems that cannot be replicated in a Supported Configuration.

But then, of course, if you could still somehow help troubled customers, that makes happy customers. smiley

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It should not be a problem for testing. However, virtualized BE has limited supportability with a Tape Drive. Hence, I would advice you to use a B2D folder for this purpose.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...VTL should be fine too as there it simply emulates a library...no hardware involved with regards to SCSI/SAS/FC connections.

THanks!

BanksyMJ
Level 4
Employee Accredited

I've got a few customers who have virtualised BE and are backing up to tape. A couple of things to bear in mind

1. They have virtualised BE 12.5 and 2010 so not quite as old as your version.

2. They are using HP SAS drives

3. When they restart the tape drives they are not always picked up by the VM

They are using this in a test env and to perform the occasional restore from old tapes so it isn't a massive issue if the tapes arent' recognised.

RLeon
Level 6
   VIP   

Such Alternative Configurations should be fine if your customer is only doing this in a lab testing environment.

However, if they do this in their production environment and encounter strange issues, you should be relieved that

in most cases, you do not support Alternative Configurations, and you have no obligation to provide Support Services to Licensed Software in an Alternative Configuration.
Symantec makes no warranty with respect to use of Licensed Software in an Alternative Configuration and any such use is at their own risk.
You have no obligation to attempt to resolve Problems that cannot be replicated in a Supported Configuration.

But then, of course, if you could still somehow help troubled customers, that makes happy customers. smiley

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I suspect that Symantec take the support cue from VMware themselves who don't support such a design.