cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to manually delete vmware-SYSTEM files?

Redha_Hamzah
Level 3

Product : BE 2010 R2 (build4164)

Backup Exec 2010 R2 left files inside c:\Windows\Temp\vmware-SYSTEM\vixmntapix on media server. I heard that this temp files should be deleted after backup job completed.

Workaround : It solved in R3 but in my case is it safe to delete manually the vixmntapix files without waiting next backup job or upgrade to R3 version yet?

I've exclude the folder from antivirus scanning.

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can delete these temp files, but it will be a temporary solution. They would be created again during the next backup and you would have to manually delete them again.  Why don't you upgrade to R3 SP2 which has a lot of important fixes.  Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP2 and the latest hotfixes.

After you have upgraded to R3, push out the remote agent again.

Redha_Hamzah
Level 3

ok. thanks.i'll give it a try.

anyway, why 2010 r3 and not just go for 2012? enlightened thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are thinking of upgrading to BE 2012, I would suggest that you read my article below first

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/preparing-install-or-upgrade-be-2012

Redha_Hamzah
Level 3

Ok. Thanks. I'll go through.

anyway. as per subject discussion. where should i find the regtrans-ms file?

the files seems hidden. I cannot view from windows explorer. (checked show hidden file option)

bytheway, can i use current BE2010 license with BE2012 ?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Q can i use current BE2010 license with BE2012 ?

No , You cannot use as BE 2010 & BE 2012 licenses are different

So you will have to talk to licensing to get an upgrade notification & SLF licenses for BE 2012

Thanks

Redha_Hamzah
Level 3

[SPOILER]

[/SPOILER]

this is what i meant.. the vixmntapixxxxxx.regtrans-ms is still exists in the folder even after remove all the files inside the folder. any advise?