cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to display the files of an lto disk?

tbland
Not applicable

I'd like to be able to list the contents of a number of older LTO's to a .txt file.  I've used the catalog dump utility but backup exec will not create any new catalog files for the any of the previously created LTO's and it seems to truncate the file contents as well.  Does anyone know of a software that can do this or any other method that will list all the file contents of an LTO that's currently inserted into the drive?  It's seems as if it should be a very simple procedure to access a disk that's in the drive so I hope that someone has a soluation.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Not off-hand, but you MAY be able to get something out of the BE DB if you know SQL. The only thing that Symantec made available was the catdump utility, and they will not assist you in pulling information out of the DB...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

it seems to truncate the file contents as well

Go to Tools --> Options ---> Catalog and check your Truncate Catalog After setting.  After this time period, BE will truncate the catalog to save space.  Only the header is left.

backup exec will not create any new catalog files for the any of the previously created LTO's

You would have to re-catalog the old tapes.