cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue when running job for vmware server

jjdowns
Level 2

Hey guys after a VMware job i completed finishes i get the following error:

The job completed successfully.  However, the following conditions were encountered:

Backup Exec failed to connect to one or more virtual machines and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup. Refer to the job log for more information.

Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup- VMVCB::\\JJDVSPHERE\VCGuestVm\(DC)JJ DOWNS(DC)\vm\JJD SERVER - SAGEV-79-57344-38726 - Backup Exec failed to connect to virtual machine '\(DC)JJ DOWNS(DC)\vm\JJD SERVER - SAGE' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

I am trying to figure out exactly what is causing this error. I am running backup exec 2010 R3 and in this case i am trying to backup a vmware server with the vmware agent.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dani

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you checked the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155335

Lesta_G
Level 6

That is "normal"......well it is at least for me

These are warnings (exceptions) rather than errors

I am trying to figure out exactly what is causing this error. I am running backup exec 2010 R3 and in this case i am trying to backup a vmware server with the vmware agent 

I assume you mean you are trying to backup a Virtual Machine using the Backup exec Agent for VMware (AVVI)

In my case I do not want GRT, but rely on restoring the whole VM, should disaster strike.

So I turn off GRT in the backup job.

The thing is Backup Exec keeps reminding me with these "warnings", which is why I say it is "normal"

I KNOW I am not using GRT, therefore the warnings are irrelevent for me.

Colin_Weaver

If you are using Application GRT then these warning are really errors as they mean that you cannot GRT the application

Often caused by name resolution issues between media server and VM (or in some cases a lack of remote agent services running inside of the VM.)

jjdowns
Level 2

Well i know for a fact that i dont have the remote agents running... What if i do want GRT? The only reason i want it is if i need to restore a specific file. One of my servers is a accounting server and if something is done wrong on the accounting application i may need to restore some files in a specific directory...

In this case should i make a seprate job for this?

Colin_Weaver

OK if you only want file system GRT then the remote agent is only used for restores (back to original server) and not needed for backups - however you will get the error quoted if you have left application GRT enabled in the job - because Application GRT does need the remote agents so will look for them even if the server concerned is not running any of the applications  (because we can't tell this until we have spoken to the remote agent)

Check the VMWare part of your backup job properties and disable the application GRT options - although note if your VM jiob does contain one server that you do want Application GRT on then you will either have to live with teh messages or split the job up.

Lesta_G
Level 6

Colin, do you mean you have to untick the use BE GRT (under the vmware section)  AND untick the AD,Exchange,SQL (under the edit button in the vmware section)

Colin_Weaver

Yes the first GRT reference on that screen just covers the file systems (C: D: etc) inside the VM and is independent of the 3 Application settings (it is not a disable all option)

So to get rid of application GRT you have to disable all 3 applictaion GRT lines and if you want to get rid of file system GRT as well then you have to disable the first reference also.