cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues since BE11d upgrade HIGH PRIORITY!

Michael_Gossett
Level 4
Partner Certified
Windows SBS 2003 w/latest patches, Backup Exec 11d w/ latest patches (latest build as of now)

I have BE11d crashing at one particular client's every reboot of the server, the PVL service crashes, which is the Media Service. I have uninstalled, reinstalled. Done everything. This is persistant. Any ideas? The event log shows

" Reporting queued error: faulting application pvlsvr.exe, version 11.0.7170.0, faulting module dbutil.dll, version 11.0.7170.0, fault address 0x00009b67."

7170 is the latest build, replace that with previous build and it was the same error. I figured upgrading would fix it. It did not. As I have said I have already uninstalled and reinstalled. I do not want that as an option.

27 REPLIES 27

PaulD_Rus
Level 4
So you could try to share pvlsvr.exe, dbutil.dll plus appropriate dump for support team. You can find dumped pvlsrv.exe in temp directory before pressing "send to MS".
Gather all these files into one archive and put them to rapidshare.com

Probably someone from forum readers could dig into this stuff.

Message Edited by PaulD Rus on 04-26-200702:50 PM

Siegmund_Lukosc
Level 2
As I already told, we had the problem after the system-boot. A workaround for us was to stop the backup exec services 5 minutes later, and again 5 minutes later we start them using these two tasks (first stop, then start):

"C:\Programme\Symantec\Backup Exec\bemcmd.exe" -o503
"C:\Programme\Symantec\Backup Exec\bemcmd.exe" -o502

I know it is NOT a solution, but since then everything works fine.

Michael_Gossett
Level 4
Partner Certified
Are you guys by chance running Symantec Antivirus on the server?

Siegmund_Lukosc
Level 2
No, we use GData AntiVirenKit, see www.gdata.de.

Brann_Mitchell
Level 3
For sake of curiousity, why wouldn't one run SAV on the same server?  We're running the SAVCE server alongside the BE server.  It seemed to work ok with 10d, but of course, we've got nothing but trouble with 11d.

Michael_Gossett
Level 4
Partner Certified
Exactly...the guy on the phone told me it isn't recommended to install SAV on the same server. It's the same {editted for content} company, why shouldn't we? There's some settings that need to be changed to work properly.

Mod Note: Please do not use any profanities in the the forums. For guidlines please see the Discussion Forums Terms and Conditions.

Thank you.

Message Edited by John_B on 05-02-2007 05:10 PM

Andreas_Michail
Not applicable
I'm having the exact same problem! I've been searching for this problem for over a month now without any solution. It happens 2-3 times a week, the server randomly crashes. Everything is updated with the latest patches. Any solution yet on this problem? Could really need some help here.

Thank you in advance.

jimsj
Not applicable
Partner
The problem is mostly likely caused by SQL Server 2005.  By default, members of the administrators group are no longer automatically granted administrative privileges on instances of SQL Server 2005.  To grant a user administrative privileges against an instance of SQL Server 2005, you have to use the "SQL Server 2005 User Provisioning Tool for Vista" (SQLProv.exe) utility.  (I know the utility says "Vista", but you have to do this even if you're running Windows Server 2003; not sure about Windows 2000 Server, as my company no longer uses the OS).

By default, SQLProv.exe is found in the folder
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared.

Log into the system with administrative privileges.  Launch SQLProv.exe w/o any command line switches to use the GUI interface.  IMPORTANT:  in the upper right hand corner of the dialog, specify the username to provision in domain\username format (if you're not running on a domain, or using local machine accounts to run the Backup Exec services, then the format is machinename\username).  The username specified should the username running the Backup Exec Services.  If different usernames are used for different services then specify the username running the Backup Exec Device & Media Service.  In the "Available privileges" list (left hand side), select the instance of SQL Server for Backup Exec and click the ">" button to move the entry into the "Privileges that will be granted to..." list (right hand side).  Click OK to grant the SysAdmin privilege to the user.  Afterwards, you should be able to start the Backup Exec Device & Media Service.

BTW, you'll have to do this again if you ever change the user running the Backup Exec services.

Hope this helps.
Jim St. John
CTO, BRS Computing

P.S.  I did this on a server running both BE 11d and SCS 3.1.  They co-exist nicely, so I don't understand why Symantec would say don't run BE and SAV on the same box.

Message Edited by jimsj on 09-27-2007 01:09 PM