cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with backup from remote Media Server to tape device located on CAS

JHouse
Level 3

Hi all,

We have recently implemented a new Backup Exec 2014 solution for a couple of locations.

Our setup is this:

We have our CAS, which is a physical server with the tape library attached.  We have some disk storage configured, and we backup local VMs to disk, and then offload to tape. This works as expected.

We have a remote site, which is set up as a Media Server.  This site also has some disk storage configured and we backup local VMs to this. This part works.

What I am trying to do, is to offload a backup to tape from the remote Media server to the CAS.

When I try add in the "Duplicate to Tape" stage to the remote site job, I get the following error.

"The backup exec server specified and the device/storage devices pool specified do not share any devices".

Any ideas where I am going wrong? Or is it not expected to work this way?

Many thanks in advance

James

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It is not expected to work that way

In theory if you had deduplication folders on both CASO and MBE servers, then you would backup to Dedup on MBE, run an optimized duplication job (Dedup to Dedup) to get the backup data to the CASO deduplication storage, and then run a duplicate to tape job from the copy in CASO dedup folder to tape.  I am not sure if this same concept works or is even possible with standard Disk Storage (B2D).

JHouse
Level 3

Sorry I should have said, I am backing up to Deduplication disk storage.

Great thank you for that.  I will create Dedup folders on both.

JHouse
Level 3

So I have succesfully set up the job to run an optimized duplication job to the dedup folder on the CASO.  Where do I create the job to offload that to tape? Do I add it to the same job?  I get the same error message when adding the 'Duplicate to tape' stage.

Thanks for your help on this.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The job have to be created on the CASO server (with the first stage defined to run on the MBE. I think the CASO server may need setting up as a Private Cloud Server as well (at least in BE 2010 and 2012) it did.

Here is another thread on this sort of configuration which has some links and comments

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/duplicate-secondary-image-cas-private-cloud-server-directly-attached-tape-library