cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is possible to allocate the backup to Blu-ray devices?

Esteban_Xpears
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Good morning everyone.

We have a client who needs to use their backups to these devices. While you need a third-party software to perform the format before, I could spend a B2D.

I am concerned that is not no such device in HCL.

Some had experience in using these devices with BE?

I hope the comment from the experiences of you.

Greetings!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I know that being able to back up to an optical drive was removed a good couple of versions ago.

In this case, it is isn't in the HCL, it isn't supported and generally won't work. For a Blu-Ray, it most definitely won't.

You can get around this by creating a B2D if you have enough disk space, or even purchasing a disk to back up too. Back up to the B2D and then use another application to write those to Blu-Ray.

Alternatively, get a bunch of external HDDs and write to these instead of the Blu-Ray. You'll end up getting more backups onto an external disk than Blu-Ray.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

I know that being able to back up to an optical drive was removed a good couple of versions ago.

In this case, it is isn't in the HCL, it isn't supported and generally won't work. For a Blu-Ray, it most definitely won't.

You can get around this by creating a B2D if you have enough disk space, or even purchasing a disk to back up too. Back up to the B2D and then use another application to write those to Blu-Ray.

Alternatively, get a bunch of external HDDs and write to these instead of the Blu-Ray. You'll end up getting more backups onto an external disk than Blu-Ray.

Thanks!

Esteban_Xpears
Level 4

Hi CraigV,

Thanks for your reply (sorry for the delay ...).

The information you sent me is very useful, since I needed to confirm that you can not make copies on Blu-ray.

He proposed to the target client to physical disks, memories, etc.. But unfortunately you have to meet a government regulation that needs to spend this kind of support in non-rewritable.

Thank you very much!

CraigV

Hi Estaban,

...in that case, get your client to buy a tape drive (either stand-alone, library or autoloader) and use WORM media...Write Once, Read Many. Doing so takes care of his requirement to meet government requirements.

Cheers!

Esteban_Xpears
Level 4

CraigV, Thanks, I will propose this option to the customer. Thanks!