cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Failing After Backup (won't eject or verify)

GasesPlus_IT
Level 3
I'm backing up to an HP Ultrium 920 with the drive negotiating a 160MB/sec speed.

After the write to the tape completes, it fails to start the verify process. I get a "The job failed with the following error: A hardware error occurred." event.

If I turn off verify and leave eject media after completion selected, I receive a "The job failed with the following error: An invalid command was sent to the storage device." event preceded by a Media Remove alert that I have set to automatically respond to.

When I leave eject and verify unselected, the backup completes successfully, but without a verify that worries me.

If I perform a manual eject job, this completes successfully and ejects the tape.

I have the tape drive connected to my server via a builtin Adaptec 2025ZCR scsi card. On channel 0 I have a single RAID 5 volume, on channel 1 I have the tape drive.

Is this problem occurring because I have the drive connected to a card that has RAID functionality? Unfortunately I cannot install a scsi card into this machine as there is only one slot for expansion (it's a 1U) and that slot is currently filled with a SAS HBA.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is this problem occurring because I have the drive connected to a card that has RAID functionality?

Could be.  Veritas and now Symantec have always recommended against connecting tape drives to a RAID controller

No Built-in SCSI on the MB? 

GasesPlus_IT
Level 3
Well it's builtin scsi on the MB, but I'm using a zero channel raid card.