Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job didn't automatic cancel after x hours

TJay_2
Level 4
Partner
Hello,

We had a job that was running for around 13 hours and the jobs automatic cancellation was set to 8 hours.

The job was in the "Pre-processing" stage and it just hang.

I have been trying to find some information about the error/bug but I haven't been able to find anything.

Anyone tried the same and maybe know if its a bug?
Is it possible to get BE to send an e-mail if the job has been running for X hours and give you a status so its easier to know if the job i stuck?

I'm managing around 40 servers in different locations and with different domain names and therefore i haven't always got time to check each server or see if i have got job alerts from all servers.

Thanks in advance :)
4 REPLIES 4

chicojrman
Level 6
Your job could possibly be spanning two tapes did you check into that when you open up the console due you see it queued for another tape if not it could still be grinding away and backup up alot more data.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
@chicojrman

if the status is pre-processing, then it has not started backing up any data

@TJ

The only thing I can think of would be that the job is waiting on an alert, but I think the status would be waiting or paused, not pre-processing

You may need to break down and open an incident with Symantec  :(

TJay_2
Level 4
Partner
Hello chicojrman,

Thanks for your answer, but i guess i forgot to say that we use backup to disk folders and not tape backup since we have 7/10 TB backup. :)

So the problem shouldn't have anything to do with queuing for another tape.

TJay_2
Level 4
Partner
Hello Ken,

The problem only happens when it's in the "Pre-Processing" stage and come to thing about it, it also happens if the job is stuck backup up system state on some servers. That has happened a lot lately when we are backing up some of our windows web servers and it has been fixed with a reboot of the server, but the job still didn't cancel after the set time frame.

Do you know anything about that system state error? I haven't been able find anything myself :(