cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job ejects tape, doesn't start job only on Fridays

cstreez
Level 2
I am using just one backup job to perform a full backup daily (weekdays only). Job works great except for Fridays. On Fridays, the job doesn't ever start. It is in a waiting state. But it ejects the tape. The local admin thinks the job is complete because the tape ejects when the job is complete daily. When the tape is changed on Mondays by the local admin, the job starts. Then, of course, it is running slowly because the server is in use during the business day. So I usually end up canceling the job.

I've tried using new tapes. I've also tried creating a separate job for Fridays, to no avail.
11 REPLIES 11

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is it the same job that runs Monday - Friday?

Is it a Full/incr/Diff backup?

Does anything get backed up before the tape ejects?

St_phane_KOHL
Level 3
I ve got a similar problem but my tape is ejected evry thursday.
Yesterday I completly reinstall backupexec 9.1 with sp1 and sp2, and I will see if it change something.

David_Dickinson
Level 2
Nothing to do with Overwrite Protection on the media is it ?

Mani_2
Level 6
Hello,

Initially we suggest you to check for any Pending Alerts in the Alerts Tab.

Create a new Backup-to-Disk folder for test purpose, run the job and verify the results.

Check the Media Set Properties by referring the following Technote.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237374.htm

St_phane_KOHL
Level 3
I have completly reinstall backupexec and no more tape ejected now.

cstreez
Level 2
It is the same job that runs Monday - Friday. It is set to overwrite and the tapes are not protected. Nothing gets backed up until Monday morning when the tape is inserted again (course the person changing the tape thinks she's changing it for the Monday backup) but then it immediately starts the backup.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You say that there is no OVerwrite Protection, but it sure sounds like BackupExec is sensing OP, since it refuses the tape Friday Night, but accepts the same tape Mon morning.

Double check the OPP of the affected Media Set, also check that Global Overwite setting (Tools\Overwriate) is at "Partial"

cstreez
Level 2
OP is set in Tools, Media to None. And the media set reflects the same.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

please perfrom the following steps to troubleshoot this issue further:-

1.Install the latest Verita sdevice drivers using the following link:-
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only) http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm

2.Update firmware for the devices used.
3. Please check the "Alert" tab if there is any alert generated to insert
media or if there is requirement to respond to any prompt.
4. Check that all the devices are properly terminated.
NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days,
this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply

cstreez
Level 2
The site was off-site with a non-technical person changing the tapes. The Friday tape was write-protected.