cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job engine service keeps stopping so backups won't run

Paula_Henderson
Level 2
I have Backup exec 9.1. Recently almost all my scheduled jobs started failing (they were fine a few weeks ago.) It seems that what happens is sometime before or during my nightly scheduled backup job, the backup exec job engine service stops and therefor the job doesn't run at all - just reporting a generic warning about being unable to run because the job engine system service is not responding. It doesn't help to restart the service during the day because by the time the scheduled job runs at night the service has unloaded again or is unloaded when the job tries to run.

I got one good backup out of the system this weekend by rebooting the server and running a backup right after the reboot... but I can't do that every night obviously!

The timing of these errors has me suspecting that maybe there is some corruption with the backup exec software for the job service (although I can't seem to find any errors in the event log or backup exec that say this is the problem for sure.) Is there some way I can attempt to repair the backup exec job service software on the server without losing existing backup system information?

Thanks!
Paula
3 REPLIES 3

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

If an active media request is not responded to and the job is canceled by the user or by automatic cancellation this will cause the Backup Exec Job Engine to terminate.
If the service is not set to automatically restart the following next backup will fail with "A00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."
To prevent this error from occurring try the following steps:
1. Increase the cancellation time or uncheck "Enable automatic cancellation" for the backup.
2. Set the Backup Exec Job Engine Service to restart after it stops.
3. Schedule an Inventory job to run before the backup job runs.
4. Verify that you have enough media to complete the backup job.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paula_Henderson
Level 2
Thank You Sharvari for your quick reply. I appreciate the tips you pointed out. I'm going to try all your suggestions and see if that helps with the problem.

Thanks again!
Paula

Jake_Norman
Level 3
It won't help. I have the same problem with one of our servers. For whatever reason, the Job Engine service shuts off sometime during the job and it stops the job. I have been working on a fix for almost a week now, without success. Might need a reinstall, which is what I am fearing.

Jake
F&R