cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job hangs at "Snapshot Processing"; is the Database Corrupted?

Javier_Aparicio
Level 3
I have a server that doesn't start its backup jobs, they get stuck on "Snapshot Processing" forever. My guess is that the backup Exec database is corrupt.

I cannot just reinstall the program because it's linked to a (CASO) Central Server, and this could potentially fuck up every database linked (around 15-20), is this right? What would you recommend to reinstall this thing? I already tried beutility.exe to Repair said with no luck, and I'm not confident about doing the Dump/Recover thing. All servers are running v12.0 of Backup Exec.

I cannot reboot the server either, because people are and will be using it all weekend long... this increases the hazard of not running backups during this time!
9 REPLIES 9

Rohan_Islam
Level 3
Hi,

I hope you have restarted BE services to get rid of this problem without any luck... if not restart all the services from services.msc.

Secondly, you have to get an outage to reboot the server. If reboot does not work have to think about reinstallation.

Regards,
Rohan

Rohan_Islam
Level 3
Hi,

I hope you have restarted BE services to get rid of this problem without any luck... if not restart all the services from services.msc.

Secondly, you have to get an outage to reboot the server. If reboot does not work have to think about reinstallation.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Dude, careful with the language...no need to get banned from the forums because of it.
What are you backing up on that server firstly? If you're using AOFO, take it off, and see if this works. If not, I had an issue trying to restore from Exchange 2003 using Backup Exec 12.5, and it got stuck in Pre-processing. The tech told me to delete 2 *.cpm files (not sure what they do), but I was able to restore individual files. This seems to have cured it temporarily, although they recreate themselves.
Try reinstalling whatever service pack you have installed for BE as well...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Did you manage to get any further with this? Got any news on progress?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

What resourse are you backing up ? does it happen to specific job or to all the jobs you  run ?

pvadmin
Level 2
I just started experiencing the same problems about a week or so ago.  I'm trying to backup MS Exchange 2007.  It runs in it's own isolated job and currently is only backing up the Mailbox Database.  I've pulled everything else off of the backup.  I do not have AOFO set for this backup job.  Everytime I try and run it, it stops at Snapshot Processing and Exchange is unavailable during this.  The only way out of it is to reboot the Exchange Server.  I'm currently using Backup Exec 12 to run the backups.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ahmc
Level 3
Started about a week ago for me too.  I can't even back up one single empty folder on a certain box.  Anybody know what the deal is?

Javier_Aparicio
Level 3
Hello again,

The jobs didn't pick up at all, i was thinking this could be something about the connection to other media server(s), but the jobs never improved at any part of the day... things got worse when the services on the managed media server didn't want to start (Device & Media Service gives an Error 1053 - the service didn't rspond in a timely fashion just as soon as I try to start it).

There is a Service Pack for .NET Framework 1.1 that is supposed to fix this Error 1053, but this will most likely require a restart that I can't perform until Saturday... this sever has .NET 2.0 installed too, so I don't know if this will be the solution. I removed the server from the CASO to work better on it, I suppose I can add it back later.

pvadmin
Level 2
This issues I was having were more likely than not caused by a power failure earlier in the week.  It was hanging because Exchange was having some issues with a couple of the log files being corrupted.  I tried many different things to fix the problem but ultimately a chkdsk on the drive then move the log files and .chk file out of the folder of your .edb file and then eseutil /r on the log path.  After that, everything started working great again.

If it's an Exchange backup that is hanging on Shapshot Processing, I'd highly recommend looking at the logs from your Exchange server.  More likely than not your problem is there an not with Backup Exec.  Once I realized this and cleared the Event Viewer.  The next backup attempt recorded 3-5 entries, one of which was an error.  15-20 minutes later the problem was solved.