cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job is succesfull, but no files are backupped

Gerard_2
Level 2
Partner
When I run a backupjob, with drive c: and e: inclusive subdirectories in my backup selectionlist, the backup runs, reports succesfull, but only backups two directories.. No errors!

I tried to backup to disk, the same situation occurred.

10 REPLIES 10

Carey_Labelle
Level 2
I'm having the exact same issue, I've spent 4 hours so far on the phone with Symantec with no resolve still. They told me it was a flaw in my build version, so I downgraded as per their instructions only to have the same problem.

Nathan
Level 4
Question for you.

Is this backup thats doing this trying to backup DFS files? 

If so I too had the same issue, my solution was to stop dfs before the job and start it again using the pre/post job commands.  YES it made the backup slower than the 7 year itch (4 hour backup became 16 hour) but atleast it finally completed successfully.  Wish backupexec would fix dfs problems.

If not, what type of data is this?

N

Gerard_2
Level 2
Partner
No, I did not try to backup .DFS files, I tried to backup all kinds of normal documents, e.g. Word documents, Excel documents, PDF's etc., nothing special.

Gerard

MitchR
Level 6
No, he's talking about Distributed File System - a file replication service within Windows 2000 & 2003 Servers.

The symptoms you describe fit what happens when you try to backup any folders that the DFS (or newer 2003 flavor called DFSR) service is managing.

See also:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/dfsfaq.mspx

Gerard_2
Level 2
Partner
I'm not using the distributed file system!

Anyhow, yesterday I tried to backup with Microsoft Windows Backup, the standard version
delivered with MS Windows 2003 server, it works, no problem to backup any data....

So I have a backup, but not with Symantec!

Carey_Labelle
Level 2
Again I have the exact same issue, I don't use DFS either like Gerard. I have tried backing up a Simple TXT file and it doesn't even do that! I've spent MORE time with Symantec and now it is be escalated...

I can also backup with Windows NT Backup, it's only Backup Exec having this issue.

haroldjaspers
Level 3
Exactly the same issue here: 'successfull' backup, but the job contains directory information only. Not the files within. Exchange backup on the same server is running fine. I'm not using DFS.

Originally I installed Backup Exec 11d, a downgrade (v10) shows the same errors. It's a SBS 2003 R2 server and I have tried many things to solve this issue. Not successfull.

I'm pretty sure we're facing a bug here, I'm desperately waiting for a solution...

Message Edited by haroldjaspers on 07-31-200711:12 PM

haroldjaspers
Level 3
Hello? Anybody there? I don't know what to do, problem still exists. Seems like you guys still got no solution either?

Gerard_2
Level 2
Partner
Hello,

Well finally my collegue has found the solution to our problem, the following link contains an article that lead to the end of our problems.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259152.htm

the registry keys can somewhat differ per version.

Hope you'll have the same experience.

Kind regards

Gerard

Message Edited by Gerard on 08-10-200708:09 AM

Message Edited by Gerard on 08-10-200708:11 AM

Message Edited by Gerard on 08-10-200708:13 AM

haroldjaspers
Level 3
YES! It's working for me too. Thank you so much for your reply!

Unbelievable by the way, Active File Exclusion was invented to exclude Exchange/SQL/Lotus files from the backup. I'm afraid a bug causes the exclusion of all files..

Thanks again!

Regards,
Harold