Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job runs outside scheduled time window

david_coote
Level 3
Partner
Hi All
BE 12.5 SP3 - Windows 2008 64bit SP2 - Standalone Server.
This seemingly trivial problem is proving hard to correct. Our end user is irratic at changing tapes and we have set the time window in advanced scheduled options to 23:00 - 23:59 to prevent the waiting job from running the next morning when they remember to change the tape for the next night's backup. The backup Job simply ignores the time window and runs when they insert the tape. We've tried recreating the job after installing the latest service pack.
Any help appreciated
Dave
4 REPLIES 4

Martin_Forster1
Level 5

I guess.

your backup jobs start in your schedule, and prompts for tape.
Because the automatic cancellation ist not activated, or set to a high value, he stills sits there and waiting for tapes. Until your customer inserts the tape.

I think the automatch cancellation is a option of the selection list.

Regards

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

You will require a TAPE Library as it will will change the TAPES automatically...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Yep the time window in the job schedule limits when the job starts - but it has started when it is asking for a tape.
The time window against the selection list can be used to auto-cancel the job if it is still active - you want to set the time to be longer than the length of time that the backup job takes to run though as this option will cancel a running job as well as cancel a job pending a tape insert.

What you could do to help is set an inventory job to run at some point in the day after the tape should have been changed but before the backup job starts - and then configure an e-mail alert so that if the inventory job fails then an e-mail is sent (to you and the person changing the tape?) As long as the backup jobs are set to eject at end  - then a failure will be triggered if no tape has been inserted.

david_coote
Level 3
Partner
Hmmm OK
Other backup software I've used has had an option to wait for the media for a certain length of time before it cancels the job. The BE method is not as clear as this but if it works, I'm happy.
Thanks for your advice