Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job won't finish

Reiner_Korneffe
Level 3
Hello,

we are using BackupExec 10.
We upgraded our Version 9 to the Version 10.

I made a new job including all items I want to backup.
So I do back up the Exchange Server on the machine BackupExec runs on and some files as well as a MSSQL database by a remote agent on a second machine.

However I tried several times to add and remove items from my job and even deleted the whole job more than once.
The backup job simply won't finish. I cancelled the last job after waiting 70 hours. It seems to back the items up fine but still it won't turn the status to finished.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?
14 REPLIES 14

Reiner_Korneffe
Level 3
I also found an error message in my event-log.

Source: BackupExecAgentBrowser
EventID: 57429

Allso I found a tutorial from Veritas how to fix this issue, which didn't help me at all.

Any suggestions?

Reiner_Korneffe
Level 3
Can nobody help me?

Have I missed to give some information?

Reiner_Korneffe
Level 3
Well I made a new job and started it.

It is running for 9 hours now and all files are already written.
I am waiting for 3 days for someone to answer me.

Could somebody please help me???

Reiner_Korneffe
Level 3
OK, the job has just finished after 10 hours.
It seems as if I have to open BackupExec in order to finish the job.

Anybody knows how to fix this?

Reiner_Korneffe
Level 3
Does anybody actually read this forums?

Reiner_Korneffe
Level 3
Well guys, thanks for the support.
I'm off...

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Sorry to have missed this, I check every few days but sometimes there are so many "Archiving this post, assumed fixed" messages that new problems get lost in the clutter...

By chance, is this backup contain Mailboxes? I have heard of a few instance of Mailbox jobs hanging. If so, make sure the System mailboxes are not selected for backup and see if that helps.

Also, if the Exchange server was rebooted during the time backup was running, a lose of connection would cause the syptoms you describe.

Reiner_Korneffe
Level 3
Hello deynub,

first of all thank you for posting.
Well I am backing mailboxes up including the system mailbox.
The thing is all data is already backed up if I look into the GUI.
It is just running on 99% to complete the job.

Atm the job is running since 25:10 hours and the exchange mailboxes are the second object which is getting backed up.
The last thing is a remote MSSQL database...

I found some kb articles for 9.0 and 8.6 but they don't seem to fit into this case.

Any ideas?

Steve_Mullenix
Level 4
Try backing up a smallish folder on the backup server itself as the last resource. Might also be worth a shot to revert all your device settings to default if they have been modified.

Reiner_Korneffe
Level 3
It doesn't seem as if I can select a small folder to be the last object to back up.
The last object is the Remote Agent for SQL and it won't let me change it.
However I will try to change the settings for the devices and see how it goes.
It looks as if my drive has been removed from Hardware settings today. In windows the tape dive was called Quantum and now it has the flag "inactive" and there is a drive called Quantum2 with the flag "active" instead...

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
On suspiscion you have a mailbox issue, try running a backup that does nothing but mailboxes. See if it completes.

If it hangs, cancel it and go to job properties and remove the system mailbox(es) and run it again. See if it completes.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

It seems as if I have to open BackupExec in order to finish the job

Do you have "Eject on End" specified as part of your job description? If so, the job is waiting for you to respond to the "Remove Tape" alert

Either remove that option from the job or see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm to configure BackupExec to autoreply to this prompt (among others)

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please seperate the two servers and create two jobs for the two databases. This to isolate the problem an get back with the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Reiner_Korneffe
Level 3
Hello,

thanks for the repies, however my issue is fixed now and I don't know why.

Thank you anyway...