cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs not migrated from 9.1 to 10

Aristotelis_Sig
Level 3
During the upgrade from a 9.1 to 10, I had an error that the jobs could not be migrated. I have the old BEDB files saved in another folder.

1. Why the installation did not migrate the database?
2. How can I manually migrate the jobs to the new installation?

Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

Aristotelis_Sig
Level 3
The exact error message is:

Database upgrade did not complete successfully. All devices, media and jobs will not be migrated from your prior version.

At the end of the installation I get the following:

Catalog Index Database Migration
Fast catalog migration failed due to SQL BCP load failure. The catalog index database will be created when Backup Exec services start. Additional time may be required to view available restore selections. %s\bcp_*.err contains
detailed information. Failed

Aristotelis_Sig
Level 3
The contents of 'bcp_CatResource.out':

Starting copy...
SQLState = S1000, NativeError = 0 Error = Code page 737 is not supported by SQL Server
SQLState = S1000, NativeError = 0 Error = Unable to resolve column level collations

BCP copy in failed

What does it mean saying that 'Code page 737 is not supported by SQL Server'? What should I do?

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
1. Look for the old "data" folder Copy the Data folder(from C:\program files\backup exec\NT\Data Backup) to a different location.Also copy the catalogs folder (from C:\program files\backup exec\NT\ ) to a different location.

2. Uninstall backup exec 10.0 from Add Remove Programs

3. Reboot the server.

4. Install backup exec version 9.1 and reboot the server

5. Once installed successfully, stop all the backup exec services including the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC.

6. Rename the existing data folder under (C:\program files\backup exec\NT\) to DATA.old

7. Copy the data folder from the step 1 to this location i.e (C:\program files\backup exec\NT\)

8. Start the backup exec services.

9 Open backup exec and confirm that you can see all the previous information.

10. Stop all the backup exec services.

Now do the same for catalog database.

11. Rename the existing catalogs FOLDER under (C:\program files\backup exec\NT\) which will be empty to CATALOGS EMPTY.

12. Copy the catalogs folder from the Step 1 into this location.(C:\program files\backup exec\NT\) AND Start the backup exec services.

1) Once the BE services have started RUN the UPGRADE TO BEWS 10.0

Second upgrade should succeed.

I hope this helps.

Aristotelis_Sig
Level 3
Dear Ashwin,

The procedure you suggested did not work. I still have the same errors.

Please advise.

Fernando_Vinan-
Level 4
I had the same issue and could not get steps 6 to 9 to work. I then thought the idea of restoring the database by simply copying it back seemed like inexperienced support help so instead I kept the clean Data folder i.e. renamed the Data.old back to Data, copied the BEDB.bak file from the DataBackup folder into it, then used the BEUTILITY.EXE program to restore the database properly from the backup. It is what it's there for.

This allowed v9.1 to contain the original data and after copying the Catalog folder across I re-ran the upgrade to v10 and all was well again - at least so far. Oh, and I did restart the SQL services just as it was about to run some scripts (I was installing to full fat SQL 2000 not the noddy MSDE version) to make sure the database was actually available when it tries to upgrade it.

I did find this strange as on another server where noddy MSDE is used it all went fine. Either the upgrade cannot cope with straight SQL server or I can only assume there was some sort of corruption in the database that the upgrade cannot handle and the restore using BEUTILITY clears it up. So much for the daily maintenance - fat lot of use that was!!!!

Aristotelis_Sig
Level 3
Thank everyone for the help.

The following workaround worked:

From 9.1 installation:
1. Stop Job Engine Service.
2. Move the Catalogs directory to a temp folder
3. Run BEWS 10 Upgrade
4. Restart
5. Stop Job Engine Service.
6. Delete the new Catalogs directory created.
7. Move the temp Catalogs to the BEWS installation directory.
8. Start Job Engine Service.

After that, the BackupExec should run correctly.