cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs will not end until tape is physically removed from drive

NJDfan1711
Level 2

Hello,

I am running Backup Exec 12D (no SP1 from what I understand).  About two weeks ago I had my Powervault 110T (LTO3) tape drive replaced because a tape was stuck in the drive and could not come out.  The drive I have now is brand new.  As soon as I got this new drive, all of a sudden my backup jobs will not stop.  The remain with the status "Running" even though the bytes of the job never goes up after it's backed up all the data.  I have "Eject tape when job completes" checked and the tape does eject and it sits half in the drive and half hanging out like usual, but the job only terminates when I remove the entire tape completely from the drive.  I have changed the job and unchecked "Eject media when job is complete" but that still didn't fix the problem.  The job still does not terminate until I eject the tape completely.

Also, when running an Incrementail daily backup, my jobs are doing something similar.  When all the data is backed up and the bytes do not go up anymore, the job status turns to "Loading Media" and the notification says "Please remove the media from the drive."  My jobs never used to say this... why aren't they terminating on their own?  I don't want the job to continuously run until I physiaclly remove the tape... they should just terminate on their own and I should be able to take the tape out when it is convenient for me.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

For the Eject problem,  configure auto-response to the "remove tape" alert

as for the "loading media" problem, sounds like the tape is filling up before the job finishes.  is there an alert to "insert overwriteable tape and click OK"?

xSmilinx
Not applicable

Hey,

I'm having exactly the same problem with the eject issue. Only difference is I have an IBM LTO4 drive. Ive added the auto respond to media alert as you mentioned, but made no difference.

The tape ejects, but untill you physically remove the tape from the drive, the job stays in an active mode at 99%.

Anyone found a solution to this?

(BE 12D, Win2k3 SP2, all updates applied to BE and Windows)