cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just received a HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader...

Cardona
Level 2

Hi,

As the title reads, but...

I've installed the drivers and updated the firmware, I can see it in windows (x86 Server 2003 R2), I can see it in Backup Exec (ver. 12.5 rev. 2213) under Robotic Libraries.

My question simply is from Backup Exec how do I "eject" the magazines, or even just eject the MailSlot?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

My question simply is from Backup Exec how do I "eject" the magazines, or even just eject the MailSlot?

These are not functions of BE.  You would have to do it either from the front panel or from the Web-interface of the library.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

These are not functions of BE.  You would have to do it either from the front panel or from the Web-interface of the library.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

As is a TAPE Library we won't have an eject function (Eject function is only applicable for Stand Alone Drives) The Robotic Arm puts back the tape in the slot after any tape operation is over.

If you want to remove any tape from the library run an "Export" job and if you want to insert any tape in the library run an "import" job.

Hope this helps...

Cardona
Level 2

Thanks for your reply,

Could you please elaborate on the Export/Import? What is the result, if I run an Export/Import, does the magazines unlock? or the MailSlot? or does it just allow me to use the OCP/WebUI to then release the magazines or MailSlot?

E.g. If the tape in slot 5 needs to removed, in Backup Exec: I right-click slot 5 > Export   What would be the end result Hardware wise?

Also the slots are numbered 1-8 but I've set one up to be the MailSlot...shouldn't I only have 7 slots listed?

Sorry for the "simple" question turning into several more :)

Cheers.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

You have to configure mail slot first on Robotic library console

and then if you click on any slot and click export, it mill move that tape on mail slot so you can remove it out.

similarly you can put a tape in mail slot and then click on empty slot to import in.

Cardona
Level 2

Thank you for your reply

I have set up the mail slot, my main question was (in other words): Can Backup Exec physically pop-out the magazine/mail slot? 

The answer is "No", I have to use the OCP or the WebUI of the autoloader to pop-out the magazine/mailslot.

Thank you again for your reply, all information is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Could you please elaborate on the Export/Import? What is the result, if I run an Export/Import, does the magazines unlock? or the MailSlot? or does it just allow me to use the OCP/WebUI to then release the magazines or MailSlot?

No. The magazines or mailslot will not unlock automatically.  You would either have to unlock them manually or schedule a job to do so.  After they are unlocked, you can either use the front panel or the WebUI to open them

E.g. If the tape in slot 5 needs to removed, in Backup Exec: I right-click slot 5 > Export   What would be the end result Hardware wise?

The tape in slot 5 will then be placed in the mailslot which you can open and remove without opening the magazine.

Also the slots are numbered 1-8 but I've set one up to be the MailSlot...shouldn't I only have 7 slots listed?

Yes.  If it still shows 8 slots in BE. then do the following

1) delete the library from BE

2) shutdown the library and the media server

3) power up the library

4) power up the media server

5) In BE you should see 7 slots.