cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep X number of copies of backup

johncassell
Level 3
Hi,

Would someone be able to show me how to keep X number of copies of backups?

We are currently using a simple backup program called Handy Backup and we backup folder C:\Important Documents.

In our backup location (D:\Backup of Important Documents) we have the following folders...

D:\Backup of Important Documents\August 04, 2009 (22.00)
D:\Backup of Important Documents\August 03, 2009 (22.00)
D:\Backup of Important Documents\August 02, 2009 (22.00)
D:\Backup of Important Documents\August 01, 2009 (22.00)

Is this possible with Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers? We are using a USB hard drive to backup to, if that makes any difference.

Thanks
John
3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In Backup Exec, you can run backups of data. And after the backup, you can run duplicate backup to create a copy of the data. You can run duplicate jobs as many number of times you want to different devices or to different destinations to get more number of copies of same data.
Go through following tech notes for more details:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255866

Please mark it a solution if this helps.
Thanks

johncassell
Level 3
Hi, Thanks very much for that. I was kinda hoping that the original backup would have a setting to keep copies (instead of having to create another backup (The duplicate) but if thats the way it goes I am happy to live with that.

Thanks again, really helpful.

John

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
rather than trying to duplicate manually, since you are using a disk backup, set the OPP of the media set that you are using so that the files are protected for as long as you wish.  Also, from Tools\Options\Media Management select the option to "Use Overwriteable Media in the target media set before scratch media:"

For example of you run jobs daily, and want to keep data for a week, set the OPP of the media set to 6 days and make your job OVERWRITE.  the first six times the job runs, BackupExec will create a new set of BKF files.  The seventh time it runs, it will reuse the oldest set of BKF files