cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Backups to external drive

cpegel
Level 4
Hi,

I am running Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers to write backups of two machines to a local disk-drive. I'd like to export the newest full backups to an external harddrive every month. Is there an easier way than checking the logs which media has been used and copy those? The list of used media sometimes contains up to 20 items, finding them in the backup-directory and selecting by hand is not very comfortable. I'd like to select a completed job and then tell Backup Exec to copy the written backup files two the external drive if this is possible.

I think copying the backups to another storage that is kept outside the building to have a backup in case of e.g. a fire is a usual practice, so maybe theres an easy way.

Thanks in advance,
Christoph
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
What you would look into doing is a duplicate job. What this does is basically copy your backup set to another medium (tape to disk; disk to tape; disk to disk; tape to tape etc).
Set up your job to backup your resources. Once done, go into Job Setup --> New Duplicate Backup job Set,
and choose the option to Duplicate existing backup sets.
From here you can select what you'd like duplicated, and when to run it via a schedule. Your destination device will be your removable drive, but don'[t forget to set it up as such in Backup Exec.
This should be what you are looking at doing. Do a test, and let us know how it goes.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
What you would look into doing is a duplicate job. What this does is basically copy your backup set to another medium (tape to disk; disk to tape; disk to disk; tape to tape etc).
Set up your job to backup your resources. Once done, go into Job Setup --> New Duplicate Backup job Set,
and choose the option to Duplicate existing backup sets.
From here you can select what you'd like duplicated, and when to run it via a schedule. Your destination device will be your removable drive, but don'[t forget to set it up as such in Backup Exec.
This should be what you are looking at doing. Do a test, and let us know how it goes.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

in addition to doing this manually, you can setup a policy to do it automagically as soon as the first job ends

See the Admin Guide page 443