cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Assesment doesn't take SBS License considerations?

RyanW
Level 4

Running a license assesment, BE is telling me I need:

1 Exchange License

1 Sharepoint License

2 SQL Server Licenses (my actual SQL server and my BE server apparently)

4 Windows Agent licenses (it's counting 3 of my linux servers as needing window agents)

All and all it says I need 8 licenses.

My SBS license should be covering ALL of this.  Is this going to impact what actually gets backed up?

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Is this going to impact what actually gets backed up?

The Exchange, Sharepoint and SQL Agents will be included.  You get one RAWS with the core product, but need to purchase one RALUS for each Linux machine  (You do get 75 DLO licenses, if you are interested in that)

see http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/fact_sheets/b-backup_exec_2010_wsbs_DS.en-us.pdf

IMHO, the LAT has never lived up to it's promise.  It is a starting point for figuring out what licenses you need, but not the final word

RyanW
Level 4

According to "License Information" under About I am licensed for RALUS and RAWS. Though I'm not using agents for the linux systems at all. (they are all imbedded/special OS's that I can't install agents into).

I have two RAWS agents installed, one on my SBS 08 server and one on my Server 08 SQL Server (SBS 08 Premium comes with both instances) and I was told that BE 2010 for SBS covered both servers under it's license. 

My third 2008 server is the BE server, so that by default has an agent loaded on it if I'm not mistaken.  It's also where I run my admin console.

That said, now I have no idea what I'm licensed for since what you are telling me conflicts with what BE is telling me!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

It has been a long time since I priced SBS (I've never actally used it), but as I understand it, the Exchange/SQL/Sharepoint licenses included under SBS Premium only apply to apps running on the SBS server itself.  If you want to cover a remote server running one of these apps, then you would need the appropriate extra serial.

You should probably contact Symnatec directly at this point, unless someone else jumps in here.

RyanW
Level 4

That's just it. I talked with Tim Bess @ Symantec when I bought this.  He said the BE for SBS covered both servers in the Premium version of SBS.  Though technically I've got a third server now. (The one BE actually RUNS on) that it also backs up... but that's almost like a "free" agent, since there's no way to load BE on a server without the agent getting loaded too.

BE has never once harped at me that I've over extended my licensing either.  The first time I found that I might be using more than BE for SBS includes is just prior to me making this thread.

Especially regarding the Linux servers, my license info says I'm licensed to back up (at least one), even though I don't use the agent.  Being that I'm not even using the agents for my Linux servers I don't even think that's a concern anyway.

Also bear in mind: It's saying I need an Exchange license. There's just one exchange server, it's telling me I'm not licensed for it.. unlike the screencap from above.