cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Buffalo NAS as B2D Folder with XFS

dtawse
Level 2
Hello, I've recently installed a Buffalo NAS device (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Linkstation-Performance-Multimedia-Network/dp/B00308CBSS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1286185782&sr=1-1) as a backup destination for a client. The device has 2 x 1TB drives configured as RAID 0 with a 2TB XFS partition. I've created a backup job (Backup Exec 11d, Windows SBS 2003) to the device as B2D and I can see all the bkf files being created ok. The problem is with verification. I get a large number of errors in the verify job log that state 'Difference encountered in file data' for various files. If I run the same job on a directly attached USB drive it completes ok. Does anyone have any idea why this is occurring? Could the XFS file system on the NAS be causing it? Thanks in advance, Dave
8 REPLIES 8

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

May be because of the file system only.

Supported file systems are:

NTFS, DFS Shares, FAT/FAT32, Veritas Volume Manager Partitions, NFS Volumes and NAS shares.

For GRT backups B2D folder shoulb be on NTFS partition...

theseng99
Level 4

If it can backup and restore file from Buffalo, don't need to worry about it. I have infrastructure like you and backup data from Buffalo also. It alert error everyday but I can restore it from my backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can test its compatibility with the B2DTest tool

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69107

dtawse
Level 2
Thanks for all the quick suggestions. I'll run the B2DTest tool (didn't know about that) and post back on the results.

dtawse
Level 2

The end result of the B2DTest was:

'One or more of the tests have completed with warnings. Backup Exec should be compatible with the appliance; however, some features or functions may not be available.'

I've attached the full log.

That sounds to me like it should work ok. I suppose it could still the be XFS file system as perhaps the tool doesn't test that.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your NAS did not pass all the tests.  Furthermore, it is not supported by BE 11d.  Check out the HCL below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/TECHNICAL_SOLUTION/46...

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Your device DID pass the overall B2Dtest, albeit with warnings (as you mentioned, which hopefully are ignorable in your environment if you aren't using GRT).

Your device IS supported, although it was not TESTED by Symantec with 11d.

"The removable disk devices listed here have been tested with Backup Exec as a result of a formal joint business agreement and OEM relationship, but are not intended to be a complete list of compatible devices."

That being said, your LinkStation isn't listed on the 2010 HCL either and the verify errors would make me nervous that the restore you really need will not work when you need it.  If the verifies are failing, it is going to be hard to get assistance with restore issues.