cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Install Questions

Smittychick
Level 2

We currently use BUE 2012 and have an upgrade to 2014 available. We would like to use the license to do a clean install-create new backups, etc. on a virtual server in XenCenter. We back up several servers in addition to Exchange 2010. I am having difficulties wading through all the documentation to get clear answers to my questions.

Is it possible to do a clean install? Are there any special considerations when doing a clean install rather than an upgrade?   

Does the server need to be dedicated only for BUE? 

Can we install BUE 2014 on a virtual server in XenCenter?

Are there any special considerations when using XenCenter as the server where the BUE application will reside? 

Thanks in advance for helping me obtain this information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. Yes, clean install is possible. You won't carry anything over and wil be required to recatalog your tapes/disk media to add this back into the new BEDB. Just grab copies of the existing Data/Catalogs folders before trashing the server. I used to stop any running AV before doing the installation. Once you finish installing BE, run LiveUpdate to install BE 2014 SP1 and any subsequent patches, and then push-install these to your remote servers.

2. No, I've run BE on an All-in-One server before (Exchange/DC/File & Print) and never had an issue. We ended up running BE on the Virtual Center servers with no issues. Just make sure it has enough resources in terms of RAM and CPU.

3. Not recommended to do this on VMware as this is an untested solution and Symantec won't have to give you proper support. Therefore XenServer would be the same, especially if accessing external disk from an array or tape drives/libraries. Keep BE on physical hardware rather and save yourself the support headaches you are likely to receive if you have an issue in future.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. Yes, clean install is possible. You won't carry anything over and wil be required to recatalog your tapes/disk media to add this back into the new BEDB. Just grab copies of the existing Data/Catalogs folders before trashing the server. I used to stop any running AV before doing the installation. Once you finish installing BE, run LiveUpdate to install BE 2014 SP1 and any subsequent patches, and then push-install these to your remote servers.

2. No, I've run BE on an All-in-One server before (Exchange/DC/File & Print) and never had an issue. We ended up running BE on the Virtual Center servers with no issues. Just make sure it has enough resources in terms of RAM and CPU.

3. Not recommended to do this on VMware as this is an untested solution and Symantec won't have to give you proper support. Therefore XenServer would be the same, especially if accessing external disk from an array or tape drives/libraries. Keep BE on physical hardware rather and save yourself the support headaches you are likely to receive if you have an issue in future.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

XenCenter is an unsupported hypervisor.  As previously advised, regardless of whether the hypervisor is supported or not, the recommendation is to use a physical server.  If you do put your media server in a XenCenter VM, then be prepared for very little or no support.

Smittychick
Level 2

Thank you for the clarifications. It's very helpful. But since receiving the Software Alert for 2014, I think I'll wait a little bit before upgrading.