cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Violation - Access to a device was not authorized...

John_Ellis
Level 2
I am recieving an error message when running a backup from our Network Appliance R200. Based on the message, I am wondering if we purchased the wrong version of backup exec, or if there is an additional component we need to purchase. The version is Veritas Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.0. The files are located on a share that can be browsed to from Windows explorer, and the service account has full rights to the data to be backed up. I have seen article 270396, but making those configuration changes did not help. The help file Storage Location Configuration Support section states that "Windows-networking accessible NAS Devices (Quantum, Network Appliance, etc.)" are supported, so I having diffuculty understanding where the problem may lie. The full message is:

WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote
Windows-based servers or workstations unless the Backup
Exec Remote Agent is installed
and running on each remote Windows-based server or
workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
Remote Agent is not running
while backing up remote Windows-based computers.

Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information.

License Violation
A Remote Agent for Windows Servers license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
Access to the device \\NETAPPR200\SV_VOL1$\~SNAPSHOT\SV_WEEKLY.0\SV_DEPTSHARES\MIS\PUBDATA\HELPDESK is not authorized with this edition of the product.

Thanks for any help you can offer. -John :)
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you installed a Remote Agent serial on the media server?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that to backup remote servers it is required to enter the remote agent license key on the media server.However, it is not required while backing up workstations.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

John_Ellis
Level 2
Just to clarify... are you saying that even though I cannot install a remote agent on a Network Appliance filer, I still need to purchase a remote agent license and install the key on the Backup Exec server? (If so, how come sales didn't just say that and referred me here instead?)

Thanks,

-John :)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Correct -

To connect to a remote ServerOS machine, you need a RemoteAgent serial installed on the media server even if the remote machine will not support the installation of the RAWS itself

This applies whether the remote server is selected by browsing in the BackupSelection pane, or via IP address through a user defined share

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Do you have a remote agent license key?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

John_Ellis
Level 2
We have ordered one. (it takes a little while since I can only order from approved vendors) I am confident that this will resolve the issue. I will post later to confirm this. -John :)