cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot start Backup Exec

Jeremy_Koeneman
Level 2
I am running backup exec 9.0 on a windows 2000 server.

When I start the program Backup Exec I am promted for a username and password for the system. (Something that has never happened before) Since I am the administrator and know the username and password I type them in and hit OK and am prompted with another dialog box stating “The Backup Exec Server system service is not responding. The service is either not running or not installed.” You have the option then to exit the program or you are taken back to the login prompt again.

At the bottom of the loggin prompt (Media Server) it states my server is down, when I go to services and select start services there are about 6 errors of failed starts.

My tape drive is on the same machine that the Veritas Backup Exec v9.0 is, another post said to change to local setting.

I inherited this mess of a network from someone who didn’t know. I am very new to the job and am completely unfamiliar with this product. Please provide a step by step very “matter of fact” response to help me with this, and to shed light on the proposed solution I’ve mentioned.

Thank you,

JK IT HOL
3 REPLIES 3

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Jeremy,

as a preliminary troubleshooting step, we would request you to upgrade to Backup Exec Version 9.1. (is a free downloadable upgrade) It addresses many issues and enhancements from the earlier versions.

Heres the link where you can download the same:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

Also, refer to the following document:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262414.htm

P.S.: please ensure that all the agents and options are reinstalled after the upgrade on all remote systems.

* If the issue persists, please let us know what event IDs are being logged in the event viewer.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Jeremy_Koeneman
Level 2
My solution...
After many hours of searching I found in my event log a couple errors that were being thrown when I was trying to start my services through Verio.

If someone is having a similar problem to this, go to the services console (provided by windows) and find the services regarding backupExec. While I was there mine were listed as disabled and stopped. Change them all to automatic and feel free to start them manually. The order you start the processes in does matter and many will not start until a prerequisette other file is started first. So after getting them started my verio works fine. This is a solution to my own problem...Thanks myself!

JK@HOL

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Thankyou for your update

- We will archieve the Post

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.