cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License keys needed, website says i don't need them

mikecaraker
Not applicable
I've registered my software online and it tells me that i don't need license keys, however the install that i downloaded from the same site wants license keys for my agents.  what do i do?
Message Edited by mikecaraker on 12-28-2008 02:44 PM
Message Edited by mikecaraker on 12-28-2008 02:44 PM
5 REPLIES 5

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

To install BE 12.5 and run it as a demo version for 60 days, when you get to the keys screen, just hit next. It will tell you that you will be in eval mode.

You can later add the keys by re-running the install, or going to Tools>Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server.

VADon
Level 2

Call tech support, they probabably have your account info all messed up like mine was. Turns out I had 6 different customer numbers, with tens of different license numbers and nothing was linked in their system, so it wouldn't genereate the keys for me.

It took me a quick phone call to get the latest version and for them to see and fix the issues with my account.

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I think when he says registered, he means that you have to register even to download the evaluation for 60 days use...not after-purchase registration.

Obviously, if he paid for the software and keys, but can't get them through https://licensing.symantec.com he should call the people he bought the software from since they gave an e-mail address that an e-mail with all the registration info was sent to, or call customer service.

I think probably the solution is my first post: He just needs to hit next, and it will tell him he is running an eval version.

NicholasC
Level 4

What is happening here Mike is that you registered a support contract for Backup Exec. Similar to buying an extended warranty for a toaster, but not buying the toaster.

Since Backup Exec does not require a support contract to work, you must either have also purchased the licenses for Backup Exec or you support contract renewal must be correctly linked to a base license purchase that had a support contract purchased with it that did not expire more than 90 days before renewing your support contract.

Please contact Enterprise Customer Care at 800-721-3934 and we can help you with sorting out the licensing for Backup Exec.

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
Mike, maybe you can come back and clarify what you are doing, if you were successful, and if so, how.