cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing question

Maxim_Petrov
Level 2
Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding licensing BE 11d.
We have the following setup:
-Three Media servers, one of them is also a Central Admin Server.
-A tapeloader with two drives.

The questions are:
1). How many media server licenses we need to buy, and is the CASO licenses included in the Media Server licenses?
2). How many Shared Storage licenses do we need (one for each media server)?
3). How many library expansion licenses do we need (one for each media server)?
4). How is the IDR option licensed, do we need separate licenses for each box where it is installed?
5).  Also when we are running BE in the evaluation mode, is there a way to find out, maybe from the BE databases, how many licenses and which options are being used?
6). And lastly, is anyone using VMWare ESX, and which backup solutions are implemented for it?

Thank you for your time, any help will be very much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

ErichWeihrauch
Level 2
Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding licensing BE 11d.
We have the following setup:
-Three Media servers, one of them is also a Central Admin Server.
-A tapeloader with two drives.

The questions are:
1). How many media server licenses we need to buy, and is the CASO licenses included in the Media Server licenses?
4). How is the IDR option licensed, do we need separate licenses for each box where it is installed?
5).  Also when we are running BE in the evaluation mode, is there a way to find out, maybe from the BE databases, how many licenses and which options are being used?
6). And lastly, is anyone using VMWare ESX, and which backup solutions are implemented for it?

Thank you for your time, any help will be very much appreciated.

1 through 4:

Assuming one of your servers is going to be the main backup server, I'd reccomend the following licensing config:

1 Base License
1 CASO (the central admin storage option is NOT included)
3 Open File Options (includes the windows remote agents)
1 Library Expansion Option (base license covers the first drive, the option is needed for each additional)
1 IDR (licensed 1 per each base licnse)
1 System Recovery Option

I would disregarded the San Shared Storage options.  I would highly reccomend just backing up each server individually.  SSO just complicates things.

5) You should be able to see what licenses are 'installed' in eval mode under help and about in the program's main console.

6) VMWare doesn't support BUE, the actual OS running under Vmware would.  So if you are running Windows, then you would want BUE for Windows.  Never heard any complaints thus far with virtual os's + backup progs.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
may not answer all your questions, but have you tried the License Assesment Tool?

Also, in Eval/Demo mode,  no serials are entered.  All options are available (except IDR, IIRC)  in unlimited quantities 

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 07-17-200711:36 AM

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Before carrying on, I'll assume that your setup is 3 servers, all SAN connected, and your autoloader is also on the SAN? You want to backup the three servers as fast as possible (i.e. speed is more important than purchase cost).

The questions are:

Three - one for each media server

I believe you need three, though I can't find the proof of this.

I believe you need only one, though again I can't find proof of this.

I'm not sure on this, my personal opinion is that IDR creates a lot of hassle for something that doesn't take too long to do without IDR.

There is a Backup Exec Licensing Tool linked at the top of this forum. I haven't used it though.