cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux - Slow to browse server from Backup Exec

John_Baxendale
Not applicable
I've been trialing the 11d version of BackupExec on our Linux machines, all of which are running either RHEL4 or CentOS4.x.

I seem to have a problem whereby the machines all show up in BackUp Exec, but attempting to browse them results in a long delay - it seems to be about 10 minutes between clicking on a drop down and returning a list of directories.

Connectivity between the machines seems fine, firewalls are disabled on all machines, virus checking has been disabled and there is otherwise no network issues I can see (browsing a samba share on the linux boxes is zippy from the Windows machine).

I've amended the DNS so all hostnames forward and reverse lookup as I suspected this could be the cause of the 10 minute timeout/delay - this hasn't helped.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with Linux clients? Any pointers for where to look? Debugging the problem seems a little difficult as I can't find any logging on the Linux side to suggest what may be going wrong.

Any tips? :)
1 REPLY 1

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The RHEL 4 system is supported with the Remote Agent for Linux UNIX Systems (RALUS) but I don't believe the CentOS4 is; you should probably check the SCL. Here is a link to that:
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/286600.pdf

Specific to the problem you describe, make sure you are using the RALUS agent and not the legacy linux/unix agent or Samba. In case you aren't using RALUS it is a separate download, you can get it from the Trailware page at www.backupexec.com.

If you are going through Samba, while it can work, BE is pretty much out of the loop in any control aspects.

Perhaps run ethereal on all systems and compare results of network browsing outside of BE to communication when attempting to browse within BE.