cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading Media / Failed problems..

yuppicide
Level 3
Our office is running a Windows 2003 SBS from Dell. Attached to that is a Dell PowerVault and we are running BackupExec 11d. This unit is an LTO2 which is capable of 200G/400GB.

We have daily backups which are scheduled Monday through Friday and start at 10pm. Our office closes at 5pm, so nobody is ever here during that time. We usually backup about 80 to 85 gigs of data.

When I come in the next morning I startup another computer in our office, which has the software to check backup. If backup is successful I'll swap the tape out with the one for that night.

Sometimes the backup will be "Successful" for awhile.. we might get 2 weeks of good backups or 2 months. But then a lot of times backup says "Loading Media" or "Queued". It seems random when it happens and I don't know what is causing it. I just hit Cancel, let it schedule for the next night, and pray.

We've contacted our network consultant. He can remotely login to our server if we give him control. I asked him if there's any magic he runs behind the scenes to get it working. He says no. He just hits cancel like I do. I did notice he ran an inventory also.

Something I have noticed.. let's say our office is closed one day, such as Friday, I'll come in Monday and cancel Friday's backup we weren't there for. The backup seems to not want to get "back on track" of doing "Successful" backups.

The tapes are a few years old. I thought maybe they're going bad so I bought a brand new set of media. We have them labeled by day. I thought I'd keep a record of the old tapes when backup doesn't happen and eventually replace them. So, last week I started using a new Wednesday tape. That backup did not happen. It says "Failed", which is rare. We usually only get the message "Loading Media" or "Queued". That was a brand new tape. This Wednesday backup was "Successful" on that new tape, though.

Any help is appreciated.. thanks.. Shawn
4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Try updating the drivers for your Backup Exec installation, and see if this clears things up.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Loading Media  for an overwrite job generally means that BackupExec cannot find overwriteable media mounted

Try setting the OPP for your  meida set(s) down a couple of days

When you swap media, or every day if you swap media weekly, inventory/scan each slot to verify that overwriteable media is mounted (label info shows in Blue not Black)

yuppicide
Level 3
Sorry I didn't get a chance to check the drivers are updated yet. Our Network Consultant is hard to get in contact with. I did give him the information on two occasions, as well as one of the owners of our company. I am sure as I can handle just about everything he does (and better since I'd be right here for support), it's just that they're not as trusting with this type of stuff. Sucks that he's the only one with all of our passwords and access to everything. We don't even know passwords to our email! The BackupExec software is installed on only one computer in the office and that person doesn't even work here anymore! I have to start up that machine just to check backup! Since it's old that takes between 5 to 10 minutes. I've been trying for 1+ years to get the software on another machine, but again requires the Network Consultant because he has to setup a login and password.

But while I am waiting for them to get back, I had a question. Looking under the Devices tab I see "Soft write errors" -- what are they exactly? Could this be an indication as to my problems? I notice that all the other errors are low numbered.. from 0 - 2, but the soft write errors is 2648670.

To date it looks like we've backed up 12.6 TB.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
"Soft write errors" -- what are they exactly?

A soft write error is when the software (NTBackup or BackupExe or whatever) tries to write a block to tape, it fails, but upon retry (within the retry limit) does work.  A hard error is when none of the retrys  finally work

Wouldn't really expect the soft write errors to cause what you are seeing.

If you don't have admin rights to the BE Console, there isn't much troubleshooting that you can do :(