cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Advice

pjamme
Level 4
I am a new user, having stumbled upon this trying to get Veritas support through e-mail.
Here is my dilemma:
Currently have 2 LT1 tape drives using BackupExec for NetWare 9.2, one Remote Netware Agent, 1 LTVS tape using Backup Exec for Windows 9.1 with SQL Agent and 1 Travan tape using BackupExec for windows 10D with Disaster Recovery.  For a total of 2 NetWare 6.x Servers , and 7 Windows 2003 Servers and approximately 100 XP Pro workstations an laptops.

I am running out of patience with all these different versions of BE and sizes of tapes as well as capacity.  I am planning a new system and don't know where to start.  I would like disk-to-disk as well as tape backup.  There is so much out there I don't know where to start.  I have a Green Light for updating the system at the end of our fiscal year 7/31/2007.
Open to suggestions or telephone numbers,
Peter
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you don't mind backing up the Novell Servers from Windows, you could move all your tape drives to a dedicated or low use Windows Server, get the Netware Agent, the SQL Agent  and the IDR agents for 11d

You could do D2D for speed, and then via policies, duplicate the backups to tape for off-site/permanent sorage

pjamme
Level 4
Ken:
That sounds good to me.  My boss wants to eliminate the NW servers in the near future so this might be the deciding facter.  I hate to see them go myself.
Any suggestions as who to contact at Veritas to get a quote for everything I need?  I have looked at the site several times and couldn't figure it out.
If we eliminate the NW servers we will have a Raid 5 server with an external SCSI connection for a SAN or whatever type of disk we end up with.  Internally they don't have much space as NetWare doesn't need it to run.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
US Sales is at 800 745 6054

If you don't know what you need, they may not be able to help

So you will need a media server (Base Code)
IDR (one serial  per server to be protected)
One RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows Servers) per non-media server covered

Any database servers?  Oracle, Exchange, SQL, Notes?

The License Assesment Tool may help   See

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 07-17-200702:04 PM

pjamme
Level 4
Thanks Ken that's a great start.  I agree I even don't know what I have at this point.  I downloaded Belat and I'll give it a shot.

pjamme
Level 4
Ken:
I have been having difficullty with BELAT on the 10D server.  the 9.1 server worked fine.  I sent a message to Dieds last week, but no response yet.
I get this:
"Multiple Connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.  Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."
Heve you seen this before?
I don't believe there are any connections to the server, but I may be missing something.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you have a printer mapped to that server?

pjamme
Level 4
Ken:
That server is our print server.  I have 12 printers linked to that server.  (I only print to one of them, but have all of them installed on my workstation for troubleshooting)
I'll try deleting them and see what happens, back soon.
thanks,
peter
Perhaps I need to reboot, that didn't help.

Message Edited by pjamme on 07-23-200709:59 AM

pjamme
Level 4
Ken:
That did it, I deleted all my printers and logged in as the Domain Administrator and it worked fine.  Thanks for all your help.  I think I am ready to call Symantec Sales and do a little research on what kind of hardware we will purchase.
Peter

Message Edited by pjamme on 07-23-200711:26 AM