cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for clarification on media server side deduplicaion over WAN link

JGooderh69
Level 2

Hi All;

We are trying out the DeDuplication option to back up some OES Linux servers we have in remote sites connected via T1 links.See the back story at this post...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2010-deduplication-set-and-performance

The linux servers are performing a media server side deduplication job and the performance is terrible. it slowly drops to 10K/min. Is there anything to be done? I have read other forum posting that reccomend getting WAN accelerators. I am looking for any config settings to improve performance. I didn't see any in the RALUS config file. Are there others? Backups within the LAN/segment on similar OES servers are moving along at 600KB/min so I don't think that it's anything to do with the config of the media server, dedup folders or drives. I have broken the servers down into separate jobs.

I guess I'm asking, are media server side dedup jobs over a T1 WAN link do-able?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Deduplication works only for windows server where Rmeote agent for Windows is installed.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Correct!  Client-side deupe is Windows ONLY

For other OS's, NDMP, IDR, Hyper-V, and a few more; Those are all media server dedupe.  

JGooderh69
Level 2

Yup, I understand and I don't want to do/can't do client side. I need to do media server side. I am asking if media server side dedupes are worth it performance wise over a T1 WAN. I'm dyin' with 10Mb/min.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Media server side dedup means that all data need to be send to the media server. So it will not make difference if you backup directly or use dedup, all data of the server need to be send over the line.

You better look into differential/incremental daily and full weekly.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Or put a media server on the remote site to do local DeDup and then use Optimized Duplication to copy the DeDuplicated data between the DeDuplication folder on the site based media server to a DeDuplication folder at the main location.

Not sure how well this works with Linux/Unix data but it at least is a different option compared with the operation of straight Media Server DeDuplication over the WAN link which moves all the data over from the remote system to the media server and then does the calulations for what to DeDuplicate - which reaults in the same amount of data being moved over the network as for a Remote Agent (non-DeDuplication) job