Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Exchange 2013 deployment using BE 2014 on Windows 2008 32bit

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

We have the following :-

1. MS Exchange 2013 CU2 on Win 2012 Server STD (64 bit) as VM in VMware.

2. BE 2014 on Windows 2008 Std (32bit). in a physical server.

IS there going to be any challange to take backup and GRT restore

These Exchange server is on HA based Exchange 2013 (two server).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

It went successful...

I haven't resterted the 2nd Exchange server (two exchange server in the DAG, one mail box in the 1st server and other two mail box were in teh 2nd server) after the BE agent installation...

Now all the Exchnage were showing and along the test run was successful...

I have executed a backup ..let hope for the best..

Thanks.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you need to refer to the BE 2014 SCL on the link below to see if this is supported...

www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217478

Thanks!

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

For Exchange 2013 the only note is ...in SCL

"Backup Exec does not support Microsoft Exchange Management role scopes."

Is there any issue for taking GRT backup....

Is there any connection of MS Managment tools....

thanks..

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

GRT will not be supported if you are backing up the Exchange VM using the VMware agent. You can perform a GRT enabled backup if you use the Remote Agent for Windows instead.

Secondly, as you are backing up an Exchange 2013 server, you would require a 64 bit media server (Win 2k8 onwards)

And lastly, Management tools would not be required for this setup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

as you are backing up an Exchange 2013 server, you would require a 64 bit media server (Win 2k8 onwards)

For Exchange 2010, a 64 bit media server is required because the Exchange 2010 Management Tool only comes in 64 bit.  Since there is is no requirement to load Exchange 2013 Management Tool, what is the reason for this requirement?  

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

hi,

any updates...some help required...

thanks.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

I have installed MS Exchange managment tools for 2013 .

I have successfully installed Agent on to the Exchange 2013 server running on Win 2012

I was trying to add the exchange server and done it successsfully.

But in the policy it was not showing the "Microsoft Imformation store" where I can select the exchange database in the selection list and along the MS Exchange option is not shown in the policy option. I guess the BE agent was unable to detect the MS exchange 2013 in the server.

Just to add we have Exchange 2013 CU2..Is that the issue or there is some thing else...

Thanks.

Edite...I have changed the whole BE 2014 server (Master nad Media server) to MS Windows 2008 R2...

VJware
Level 6

Do you have the Agent for Applications & Database license installed ?

And when you added the Exchange server, did you add it as an Exchange DAG or as a Windows computer ?

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

We are using the 60 trial license for testing if it went successful we will go ahead and procure the same...

We have first tried the Exchange server then the DAG....

But non, of the showed me the Exchange database...

THanks.

VJware
Level 6

Alright, even in trial, have you enabled the Agent for Applications & Databases ?

Is the Remote agent installed on the Exchange servers ?

Do ensure the BE account has appropriate permissions per this KB -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH184449

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212113

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

We have done the agent for application & database ..as 60 days trial

And...installed theremote agent in the exchange server.

Now....

Thanks

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

As I have checked the compibility doc of BE 2014 and found that the MS Exchange 2013 required the following..

1. Exchange 2013 CU3

2. Exchange 2013 CU5

3. Exchange 2013 SP1

We have Exchange 2013 CU2 on Windows 2012 ...

Please, help me ..Is that the issue that BE 2014 unable to detect the exchange database...

we are planning to upgrade to CU5...

Thanks.

VJware
Level 6

This may be the reason as CU3 is the min update listed in the SCL for Exchange 2013.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

Again the Exchange admin has updated me that the CU2 is the upper version then SP1...

I have no idea about the MS Exchange 2013...indecisionIf the admin is right then the update is one step ahead of SP1...

Edite... The Exchange admin have ...updated...that it not that he have updated...CU2..then CU3..Then CU4 (Its the SP1) the CU5...

He was sorry for that update....angry

Thanks.

VJware
Level 6

The Information Store usually does not appear if the licence (or trial of the Agent for Applications & DBs) was not installed properly or if the BE account does not have sufficient permissions.

Would recommend to double-check both.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

I have checked that the trial of the "Agent for Applications & DBs" is selected in the "Install Option and license on this Backup Exec Server".

Regarding the permission...

I am using the Exchange Admin (Exterprise level admin in the AD) this user is used by the Exchange Admin to configure and change in the Exchange 2013 Web access...

So....now ....Will I redo the above steps again....

Thanks.

VJware
Level 6

I have checked that the trial of the "Agent for Applications & DBs" is selected in the "Install Option and license on this Backup Exec Server".

Was the license wizard completed after selecting this agent ?

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

I have re-installed the "Agent for Application & DB"...and again restarted the BE server...

No use..Its only showing all the Drive and The system State...no exchange Database...

Thanks.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...does your Backup Exec Service Account (BESA) have rights to Exchange as below?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23689

Thanks!

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi Craig,

Good Morning...

I am using the Exchange admin user to add the exchange server ....and this Exchange user is used to connect the Exchnage server...

As I have mentioned earlier we have Exchange 2013 CU2....as per the Compabilities docs it required min of CU3 or CU5 or SP1....Is that the issue...may be...

We are planning to update to CU5....

Just to add I can able to access or able to take backup the drives and system state of that exchange server...

Thanks..