cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDE Databases - Do they get backed up without the SQL agent?

Lesa_Hethcoat
Level 2
I have a client who has a Windows 2000 Server with Backup Exec 9.1 installed but no SQL Agent. They also have an application that utilizes MSDE for a line of business software package. Do the MSDE databases for Backup Exec and other MSDE instances get backed up automatically or does it require shutting down the database instance and making a backup of the database off line? In other words, if I tried to restore the line of business database, would I be able to do it with Backup Exec if the backup was accomplished with the database on line (not shut down)?
2 REPLIES 2

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Lesa!

Backup Exec's Database is backed up by the database maintainence wizard everyday by default at 4 am. But if you want to backup other MSDE instances then you need an SQL Agent to back them up or as you said you could do a cold backup of those databases.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Lesa_Hethcoat
Level 2
Thank you Ashutosh,

I wondered about the actual Backup Exec database. It's good to know how BUE handles it. I appreciate your response. It's as I suspected. I'll have to create a batch file to shut down the database. I don't think the customer will opt to get the agent.

Lesa