cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file

elnooch
Level 3

I'm running Symantec Backup Exe TM 2010 R3. The error I'm getting is below, which is affecting the other Backup services to start. Please assist with this issue.

"MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file"

38 REPLIES 38

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

That will work, yes!

elnooch
Level 3

The repair failed, tried it at the server and via remote. made sure to my account had elevated rights

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159346

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124782

The return code from the MSI is: 2
07-31-2013,14:56:44 : Install was NOT successful. Skipping post install actions for BE.
07-31-2013,14:56:44 : Cleaning up the symc status key
07-31-2013,14:56:45 : The return value for Symantec Backup Exec returned error code: 2
07-31-2013,14:56:45 : Clean up Symantec installer keys.
07-31-2013,14:56:47 : Terminal Services enabled.
07-31-2013,14:56:47 : Terminal Services server has been set to Execute mode.
07-31-2013,14:56:56 : Skipping push of remote servers and agents due to failed local install.
07-31-2013,14:56:56 : BeSeqDlgs::DlgInstallComplete
07-31-2013,14:56:56 : AgentSeqDlgs::Misc_BE_CommonOps
07-31-2013,14:56:56 : Dialog Sequence Returning errorlevel 2
07-31-2013,14:56:56 : Setting up failed completion dialog.
07-31-2013,14:56:56 : Setting up failed completion dialog (Install).
07-31-2013,14:56:56 : Initialize the telemetry items on the dialog
07-31-2013,14:56:56 : Done setting up completion dialog (Install).
07-31-2013,14:56:56 : Skipping push of remote servers and agents due to failed local install.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you doing a repair in a terminal session/rdp?

Can you do it on the actual server or in a console mode?

elnooch
Level 3

i've tried via RDP and on the server.

Also the ISO that I downloaded from Symantec was missing the browser.exe file.
Had to use the trial disc.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you copy the contents of the trial DVD to  the C:\BE and try a repair?

ISO on the file connect comes in parts which you can to combine using a .bat file

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Was this an upgrade...if yes than which version to which version..pleade post the event you see in event viewer when you try starting that servics.if you had your backup exec instance backed up than you can try performing steps from the article below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31277 Plese perform only first part and not automate master database restore Please let us know if this resolves your issue....

elnooch
Level 3

this is not an upgrade, McAfee probably blasted the sql.exe

the event log is "The SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) service failed to start due to the following error: the system cannot find the file specified.

CraigV

McAfee does its own thing...I've had it block the SQL service just because...created a policy to exclude all the backup servers, and 3 weeks later it decided to move most of the servers out and SQL was blocked again...my 2c.

That said, when you try the repair of either BE or SQL Express, stop and disable the AV and try again.

Thanks!

elnooch
Level 3

thanks, disabled all AV and even stopped McAfee services, DRAC'd in and repair failed again.

might have to do this on the server itself.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Plese perform only first part and not automate master database restore

How does the user restore the master database when it is not backed up?  Remember he is dealing with the backup exec SQL instance and the recommendation is not to backup this instance.  Also, to backup this instance, the user would need a SQL agent licence.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@elnooch - Rather than keep trying to repair the BE SQL instance, it might be easier to

1) make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory

2) Uninstall and re-install BE

3) stop all the BE services.

4) copy back the Data and Catalog directories which was copied in Step 1

5) restart all the BE services.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
@pkh i request you to please read my comment again it says if it was backed up than op can try performing step....I hope u knw this when backup exec backs up any sql instance it creates $4idr files....which are copy of system database files..so if master database is corrupt Nd sql service does not start at that time following files can be used tats y I had suggested the same. I havent come across any document which recommends not to backup backup exec instance may be you can share that document with us.. ...any ways as u have already suggested uninstall and reinstall nothing much to do now....

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Sorry.  I missed the "if backed up" part.  

However, for the majority of the users, they would not have a SQL licence for the media server and would not be able to back up the BE SQL instance.  If they do select it, they would get an error.  Also, there is no point in backing up the BE SQL instance.  If you do back up the BE SQL instance, how are you going to restore the BE SQL instance when BE itself is running?  Hence, the recommendation not to backup the BE SQL instance because BE already does its own backup.  You just backup the Data directory and then restore it to get the BEDB.  It is just common sense and a lot of Symantec staff had also stated in earlier discussions not to back up the BE SQL instance.

If you say that the BE SQL instance should be backed up, how does the user do so without buying a SQL agent licence and how would the BE SQL instance be recovered with this backup?  If possible, provide the documentation which states that the BE SQL instance should be backed up and how it should be recovered from this backup.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

@PKH,

i see you ask for documentation in most of your post, so thought you have documentation which states we do not recommend to backup SQL instance, tats y i asked for the same, and yes backup exec does take backup of its own database on daily basis, you dont have to back it seprately, however there is no such recomendation that do not backup bkupexec instance if you have license, it totally depends on the customer if they want to back it up or not, we suggest customers not to back it up so that they dont have to buy a seprate SQL license for the same, however i have never come across any article which recomends not to back it up....if you have one please let us know....

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no document to backup my statement which is based on recommendations by other Symantec staff.

However, what is the use of backing up the BE SQL instance using the SQL agent.  How do you restore the BEDB from this backup while BE is running?  If you cannot do the restore, then it is useless and the recommendation against the backup stands. You don't backup things for the sake of backing up.  You must be able to restore it.

CraigV

Mus Seth: Hope these links (some of which are answered by Symantec employees) helps you. You will see in most cases no mention is made of backing up the SQL instance (although this will be possible IF you have an SQL agent for your media server, or the media server is an SQL server anyway):

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backing-backup-exec-0#comment-3025911

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/196354-backing-up-symantec-backup-exec

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-backup-exec-backing-itself (RahulG mentions no agent required)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-do-i-protect-backup-backupexec-media-server#comment-6232291

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-protect-backup-exec-itself

I trust this helps with some of the available posts/documentation on how to protect BE without the SQL agent? Don't forget these licenses are expensive. I ran an environment with 28 media servers in Africa and Asia and not 1 of the media servers had an SQL agent license. I was also able to move between Win2K3 and Win2K8 R2 without an SQL agent installed, and recover 2 media servers by simply having a backup of the Catalogs/Data folders...

Thanks!

elnooch
Level 3
Here are some screen shots.

elnooch
Level 3
do i need to stop the sql service before I can rename the masterlogs?

CraigV

...rather be safe than sorry and stop the SQL service before doing so...if you are able to do so without impacting anything else.

Thanks!