cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Management Plug-In for VMware - cannot connect to media server

foggy
Level 3

Hello, having installed the Management Plug-In for VMware and trying to connect to the media server I get the "Failed to login to the media server" error.  I use the same credentials I used for backing the VMs up on this media server. What else could I miss regarding the configuration?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AshwinApte
Level 4
Employee

Looking at the error, it looks like you are using an incorrect version of the Plug-in. The Version 2.0 plug-in is incompatible with BE 2012.

You need to use Version 2.1 of the plugin.

Its best if you use the PLug-in that came along with the BE 2012 media.

Let us know if that does not work either.

Thanks

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

AshwinApte
Level 4
Employee

Hi Foggy,

Do the credentials have Administrative privileges on the media server like a Local Admin or a Domain Admin account? For the Plug-In just backup privileges do not work (Backup operators group accounts).

Also which media server (BE 2010 or BE 2012) do you have and which version of the Plug-in (v1 or v2) are you using?

For more information, you can refer to the following guide;

URL: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4674 --> For Plug-In Version 1

URL: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH169148 --> For Plug-In Version 2

Thanks

foggy
Level 3

Hello, thanks for the timely response.

Yes, the account does have administrative rights on the BE server (Local Admin). I'm using BE2012 with plug-in version 2.

Thanks.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Foggy, 

Did you you install the BE plugin from the download or did you install it from the install media for BE2012?

AshwinApte
Level 4
Employee

One more detail .. Are you connecting using the FQDN, NETBIOS or the IP addess? Does ping (for whatever of the three you are using) works between the the two systems?

Can you also post the contents of the BEVMPlugin\BEVMPlugin.log, located in the same folder as the Baclkup Exec install logs?

foggy
Level 3

I tried all three, the same result. Ping works for all of them fine.

The log gives the following just after the logon attempt:

18.05.2012 18:06:19 [7] NativeMethods.Connect failed. ErrorCode = 3758133253

18.05.2012 18:06:19 [7] Failed to login to the media server

foggy
Level 3

I've downloaded it separately from the link given in KB article.

AshwinApte
Level 4
Employee

Looking at the error, it looks like you are using an incorrect version of the Plug-in. The Version 2.0 plug-in is incompatible with BE 2012.

You need to use Version 2.1 of the plugin.

Its best if you use the PLug-in that came along with the BE 2012 media.

Let us know if that does not work either.

Thanks

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Uninstall that one and install the one from the BE2012 media.  The install files should be in the Plugins directory of the media.

The downloaded one in the KB article is only for BE2010.

foggy
Level 3

Thanks, guys! The new version isn't even listed anywhere..

foggy
Level 3

Any hint why are there no backed up VMs in it after connecting finally to the media server?

foggy
Level 3

Nevermind this, got them visible.