cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually copying .bkf files

VFRdave
Level 1

We are backing up our files every night with Backupexec to a dedicated backup hard drive in the same server. We feel pretty good about being protected from a hard drive failure. However we are not protected from a fire that destroys the whole server.

I would like to copy the .bkf files to an offsite storage medium. Is this gonna work? Doing some research, I saw suggestions that this is not going to work, that Backup Exec needs to write the .bkf files to the backup medium directly or it will throw an error when you try to restore a 2nd generation copy of a .bkf.

This seems a little strange to me.... let's say if you have a complete disk failure of the C: drive and the whole server OS (including Backup Exec installation) is gone, and you have to do a bare metal restore. So it looks like you can't just diieinstall a fresh OS and then a fresh copy of Backup Exec and then do a restore of the .bkf files because the fresh Backup Exec software won't know what to do with my existing .bkf files?

P.S. we do not use encryption because our files are only valuable to us... no one else would find it useful or valuable

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100038808

Read this article for reasons as to why copying .bkf files is not a good idea.

If you need another copy of the backup set, then duplicate them.