cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Catalog Issue

bill_dunn
Level 3

I am trying to restore a few files from a tape.  The tape is no longer in the server's catalog.  I have run the Inventory and Catalog jobs on the tape.  The Inventory job finishes fine but the Catalog job always fails with this error:

"The requested media (sequence number 2 in the media family being cataloged) was not listed in the catalog's media index, and thereforer, it could not be mounted.  No data from this media will be included in the disk based catalogs.  Performing an inventory operation on this media and rerunning the catalog operation should resolve the problem." 

I do not have the second volume and there is a good chance the job was cancelled before the second volume was inserted.

I have run the Inventory and catalog operations on the media multiple times and always get the same error.

It is running version 14.0 1798 (64 bit).

The files I want are on this first tape.  What can I do to get this tape cataloged?

Thanks

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You also need to uncheck the “Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations” option.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

go to  Backup Exec Main Menu < Configuration and Settings < Backup Exec Settings < Catalog and clear the checkbox for Use storage-based catalogs

then run the inventory and catalog job again.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You also need to uncheck the “Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations” option.

bill_dunn
Level 3

I tried Inventory and catalog again with that change.  The error changes but the catalog operation still fails.  Now the error is "Final error: 0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted.  To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.  Final error category: Backup Media Errors. "

I also tried unchecking "Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations" but it still fails.

Is the media itself bad?  

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...what are the Hard Write Errors like on that tape? Are they excessive at all?

Thanks!

lmosla
Level 6
Check Windows Events for System Errors: Event ID's 5,7,9,11,15 indicate hardware issues