cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Description disappears

Wally_Beast
Level 2
I have recently switched to using barcodes on my pool of LTO3 tapes used on a Dell PowerVault interchanger under BE 10d.

Previously I was able to label my tapes under BE as "MONDAY - system 1", "TUESDAY - system1" etc. with variations for Week End and Month End tape to be taken out of the interchanger and stored.  Now I find the "media label" field is automatically populated with the barcode number, thus removing any meaningful idea of what the a tape's contents might be from looking at the screen.  I got round this initially by recording the info in the "media description" field but have now found that this is overwritten with a blank each time the scheduled job overwrites the tape (though not when it is appended to).

Is there any way to keep the Media Description after the tape is overwritten?

BE 9.x used to allow the use of variables (%d=date, %t=time etc)  in the Backup Job Properties to specify the Media Description, but 10d only lets you use these in the Family Name.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unfortunately, no.  This was brought up in an earlier discussion and the answer is that you cannot modify the Media Description field using a parameter in the later versions of BE.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mhollenbeck
Not applicable

nm

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unfortunately, no.  This was brought up in an earlier discussion and the answer is that you cannot modify the Media Description field using a parameter in the later versions of BE.