cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Selection Issue BE12

gsanta
Level 2

One of our BE12 servers died and had to be rebuilt.  I have since reinstalled and reconfigured our backup selection lists, jobs, and media sets.  Each media set corresponds to a job, and each media set has one tape in it.  My problem is that when I run a job it doesn't select the tape from the corresponding media set, but one from my Spare Media Set.  I have this issue on all 3 of the jobs I've tried so far.  My other system works properly with this setup.  What could I have missed that is causing the wrong tape to be used?  Also, what causes the media information text to turn blue?  I notice that my working system has blue text for all the tapes, but my problem system has black text for the media info.  Thanks for the help.

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RRE
Level 6

Hey there ,

Go to tools ---- option ----- media management & select " overwrite recyclable media first before overwriting scratch"

Working system has blue text for all tapes indicates that they are overwritable

Affected system has black text which indicates that you have assigned each tape to a specific media set & they are overwrite protected 

Whenever you run the job on a tape for the first time , let it be under scratch media , as soon as the job is completed , it will automatically put the tape in the selected media set. 

Above setting will make sure that , next time you run a job with specific media set --- it will search for the tapes associated with that media set & will add the data to it

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Blue media indicates that its overwritable. If the job is set to overwrite and if there is no ovewritable 

media available in the associated media set then BE will look for an overwritable media in the scratch

media set. 

RRE
Level 6

Hey there ,

Go to tools ---- option ----- media management & select " overwrite recyclable media first before overwriting scratch"

Working system has blue text for all tapes indicates that they are overwritable

Affected system has black text which indicates that you have assigned each tape to a specific media set & they are overwrite protected 

Whenever you run the job on a tape for the first time , let it be under scratch media , as soon as the job is completed , it will automatically put the tape in the selected media set. 

Above setting will make sure that , next time you run a job with specific media set --- it will search for the tapes associated with that media set & will add the data to it

tech29
Level 6

You need to partition the library if you want a particular set of tapes to be used for a particular job.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH6576

Regards,

tech29

gsanta
Level 2

I overlooked making option changes, so I matched the options to my other system, including changing the Media Overwrite option to "overwrite recyclable media first before overwriting scratch", and it picked the tape I wanted it to pick.  Thanks a million!!!!

Greg

RRE
Level 6

Your welcome Greg , Cheers !!